Duckling breed guesses?

Pamv88

Chirping
Mar 6, 2023
Charlotte North Carolina
I was given ducks yesterday at tractor supply and I am curious what breeds you all with experience think. From looking up pics and all I am thinking yellow one is fawn & white runner, black one is cayuga, brown is khaki campbell and the yellow black one I dont know. Guessing mallard or rouen but I dont know how to tell the difference. The first pic is to show the side of the head on the mixed for lines or things I have been reading about. The other to show colors better. The brown one almost seems to look greyish under a light top brown color. Any guesses? Thanks :)

Attachments

• 20240428_201505.jpg
    20240428_201505.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20240427_190503.jpg
    20240427_190503.jpg
    391.3 KB · Views: 6
I was given ducks yesterday at tractor supply and I am curious what breeds you all with experience think. From looking up pics and all I am thinking yellow one is fawn & white runner, black one is cayuga, brown is khaki campbell and the yellow black one I dont know. Guessing mallard or rouen but I dont know how to tell the difference. The first pic is to show the side of the head on the mixed for lines or things I have been reading about. The other to show colors better. The brown one almost seems to look greyish under a light top brown color. Any guesses? Thanks :)
It is a mallard. The line across the head along with the dot to the left of the eye is a sign of a mallard duckling. Rouens will have two lines across the face rather than 1. As for the other duckling my guess would be a blue runner, I'm not completely sure though. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
It is a mallard. The line across the head along with the dot to the left of the eye is a sign of a mallard duckling. Rouens will have two lines across the face rather than 1. As for the other duckling my guess would be a blue runner, I'm not completely sure though. Hope this helps.
Ahh blue runner, never would have thought that. I have heard conflicting info on the stripes and read to look for a missing toe? they all seem to be the same size at this stage except the black one is smallest.

Ahh blue runner, never would have thought that. I have heard conflicting info on the stripes and read to look for a missing toe? they all seem to be the same size at this stage except the black one is smallest.
Yes, it can be very hard to identify breeds at that age. It is very difficult to see a missing toe when they are that young and you probably won’t notice it until they are a couple months old. Usually they are all similar in size for the first couple weeks, you will notice that as they grow older the mallard will become “smaller” in comparison to your other ducks. I wish you the best of luck!

Yes, it can be very hard to identify breeds at that age. It is very difficult to see a missing toe when they are that young and you probably won’t notice it until they are a couple months old. Usually they are all similar in size for the first couple weeks, you will notice that as they grow older the mallard will become “smaller” in comparison to your other ducks. I wish you the best of luck!
ahh thank you very much! I cant wait to watch them grow, they are so adorable!

Back
Top Bottom