Duck attacking chickens?

WarmChick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 20, 2012
Last spring we got 2 Rouen ducklings and 3 chicks to add to our other hens. We realized that, while we had intended to get 2 female ducks, we ended up with one male and one female. An unfortunate predator attack took our female duck and a couple of the chicks/hens. Since then, the male duck seemed to have been adjusting to the coop fine. He's not interested in the pool of water, but will only dunk his head to clear his nostrils/bill/etc. He pals around with the other chicks {now hens} he was raised with. In the last month he has started attacking one of our older hens. He jumps on her back and grabs the feathers on the back of her neck. He has also drawn blood on her comb. We're assuming it has something to do with his male urges, but we're not totally sure. It looks similar to what our rooster used to do {for the short amount of time we had one}. However, the one hen he goes after is acting very despondent now, separates herself from the flock and tries to stay right up close to our kitchen slider all day. And now, if the one the duck usually goes after isn't around, he's started going after our oldest hen who is at the bottom of the pecking order. Any thoughts, tips, suggestions? Thank you!

My male Rouen has 2 female ducks, and he does the same thing to 3 of my hens. He'll grap their neck feathers and if they don't manage to shake them off, he'll get on their back and try to mate with them. He does target the lowest in the pecking order, and he does it because he doesn't have enough female ducks

Hi, sorry to hear about your predatoe attack and loss of birds
1f614.png

Male ducks can and will kill chickens trying to breed them.
He will need to be seperated before he seriously injures or kills them.
Their anatomy is completely different from chickens.
There are many stories on here of male ducks killing chickens by trying to breed.
If you want to keep your chickens safe you will need to seperate him and get him some female ducks.

My male Rouen has 2 female ducks, and he does the same thing to 3 of my hens. He'll grap their neck feathers and if they don't manage to shake them off, he'll get on their back and try to mate with them. He does target the lowest in the pecking order, and he does it because he doesn't have enough female ducks

You also will need to get them seperated before he kills or seriously injures your chickens
1f44e-1f3fc.png

You might have to set up another pen for Ducks separate from the Chickens...Drakes have a penis and Roosters do not..She if he breeds the Chicken hen he could cause her internal injuries or kill her....:(

Hope you find more Hens for your randy Drake...:)

Best wishes...:)

Thanks for all the responses! So one female duck won't likely be enough? And if we get a duckling, I'm guessing it'll be a good few months before it'll make a difference to my drake? Are there specific mating periods when this is the worst? Or will we need to keep him separate indefinitely?

Thanks for all the responses! So one female duck won't likely be enough? And if we get a duckling, I'm guessing it'll be a good few months before it'll make a difference to my drake? Are there specific mating periods when this is the worst? Or will we need to keep him separate indefinitely?

Spring is the worst, although it should be done to protect the Chickens....Drakes breed all year...;)

Back
Top Bottom