Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

A couple of days ago, I sneaked a peek at Calypso's kittens in the hay shed while she was up on the deck eating. I leaned over a couple of bales and thought I saw two orange kittens and two black ones.

Yesterday, I tried peeking in again -- no, it's two orange and three black kittens. Today, it appears there are actually two orange, three black and one very dark gray kitten.

I am NOT going to look in there again tomorrow!!!!

Barb, if you were raising cattle or hogs, I wonder how well peeking would work ?
today we tried a new recipe. it is a copycat recipe of the kale soup that Olive Garden serves
Theirs is very good,,,,ours is even better..
cold and rainy here today. doesn't make me feel like working in the shop..

Barb your kittens are multiplying like rabbits.

Weather is pretty dreary out. Hopefully it helps to get some more plants growing. Need it to warm up so the bees can fertilize all the blossoms on my plum trees.
It’s dreary and chilly here, I keep telling myself we need the rain. I just wish it would rain at night, only.

My puny tomato plants are looking better today. I was afraid I shocked them too much by tossing them out so quickly. Thankfully these cloudy days will help them harden out without too much sun. The waterwalls are staying warm enough for them.

It seems that planting larger robust tomato plants really doesn't give you a head start. they seem to dormant for awhile to get over the shock.
long ago we had water walls. after a few seasons they developed leaks .
later on a friend with a green house told me to lay the tomato on the ground with the roots covered and just the amount of leaves showing that you are going to leave exposed when you plant them. the plant will actually bend toward the sun on it's own. then you plant the tomato in a trench instead of digging a hole..
Annie helped me finish wiring the quad boxes in the shop. all I have left to do is run the wire up the post and across 11 feet of ceiling to get to a power source.. a bit of overhead ladder work that I don't relish.

We will see this year if smaller plants establish faster. Be nice as I don't like those long leggy ones I always end up with. My goal is always to get a tomato by the end of June, so the clock is ticking. Come on tiny tomato plants. If it works next is to direct seed inside the water walls.

houston, we have power. bro Dave happened to come to get his tent. I was in the shop stapling the wire to the post. He volunteered to climb the step ladder and finish stapling the wire to the wall. Annie wired the plug. I just watched and directed the choir.
the drill worked in all 8 receptacles. I have a circuit tester and everything is 100 percent..
Dave didn't hunt yesterday. two toms walked all over our yard.. lol
Lisa, just toss a couple of tomato seeds in with one of your plants. see if it catches up.. You can always weed it out..

Well, Houston, I did not have power last night during the height of the latest storm. But, the outage only lasted about six minutes. I called the electric company and was surprised when everything started up again shortly after that.

However, everything is automated and there's no option to tell them when power is restored, so two men and a truck came out about an hour later. We had a nice chat, and the older man said he didn't mind making calls where he didn't have to do anything. He couldn't offer an explanation on why the power suddenly came back on, but he checked the transformer, just in case.

Sounds like you make a fine supervisor, Jim; congrats on getting everything wired up.

Good luck with your tomatoes, Lisa. The tomato plants I bought last week are still languishing in the garage because I have standing water everywhere. Which also means I need to mow but can't.

Yesterday, I bought a Macintosh that has blossoms in hopes that it will pollinate the Honeycrisps since the Granny Smith isn't blooming this year. I am hoping not to have an entire orchard of non-producing apple trees. I am also hoping it dries out enough SOMEDAY that I can get the tree out of its pot and planted. I just set it out by the Honeycrisps and hope they exchange pollen.

Cat update: Ozzie is still in the bathroom because I don't know what to do with him; I've bought kitten food that's supposed to be good to feed the mama cat; the smaller male still stays an arm's length away from me, but happily peers into the kitchen and waits for food.

Barb, you posted an hour after I went to bed.
cloudy here, we had a good downpour after midnight. 52f at 8 AM.
a friend of mine from Madison area just had her cat to the vet for urinary blockage. $4ooo.oo
not a typo.. then it had to be put down anyway..
there has to be a limit of what people should/will do for pets.. this was not a lap pet, just a friendly ferel that stayed..
don't know what to do first today. I think I will have a cuppa joe..
still haven't had a dry day to ride Ollie..
that sounds gay, doesn't it ? lol

Back
Top Bottom