door for run made of 2x4's

Marianne25

Songster
5 Years
Sep 1, 2015
Northwest CT (Litchfield County)
Can anyone share pics of doors you have made for a run made of 2x4 framing? Our people door will go into the middle section of this panel (which is laying down on our garage floor). Any ideas/instructions/pics are appreciated!

The main gate is framed 2 x 3 dimensional lumber, not as stought as 2 X 4, but cheaper. The hinges are used door hinges, and the run is fenced using 1 x 2 welded wire. The latch is a simple gate latch.

One thing...to get a nice tight fit on the gate, so there would not be a gap, I ran the leading edge of the gate through a table saw. I shaved off the edge at an angle of about 30 degrees.

From the top image you can see that the gate closes nice and tight.

I probably don't need to say this...but anyways...use screws, don't use nails.

Last edited:
This is not ours, but my husband is planning on doing something like this on ours. The back side probably has a "Z" shape to hold it in place. We are doing 1/2" 360 degree hardware cloth enclosure. We have lots of predators.

Last edited:
I had planned a door made from 2x4 but at the end of the day found it was much easier and not much more expensive to purchase a screen door from the hardware store and replace the screen with hardware cloth.

61a3e67e729513add976f23fccb26b30.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Mine are basically like rock home isles except I use 3" deck screws on the corners with the ends not on a 45 and triangular pieces of plywood 12x12 for the corner braces

Predrill 1/8" pilot holes if screwing with any larger screw to minimize splitting

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom