dog eating duck feed

new2ducks

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2012
Colorado
my dog Tess is starting to eat the duck feed when we take off the lid of the container to scoop some out for the ducks! I was even suprised to see the dogs where I got our latest girl just roaming through the ducks and chickens and going over to eat their feed too...is this normal?

Dogs will eat almost anything they can get their hands on. That being said it is NOT good for their digestive systems. Does your dog know the "No" command? If so you will need to enforce it when she tries to eat it.

Dogs will eat almost anything they can get their hands on. That being said it is NOT good for their digestive systems. Does your dog know the "No" command? If so you will need to enforce it when she tries to eat it.

My dog most definitely knows the NO command but at times still manages to snag some duck food. It seems to be like candy to her. It also gives her horrible gas and soft poop so we do the best we can to keep her from it.

Mine likes to eat chicken droppings which is totally disgusting, I'm having a hard time breaking her of it.
She is 12 yrs old and knows what NO means but I can't watch her 100% of the time and with the chickens ranging the yard I feel it may be a lost battle unless I keep the birds penned.

We feed the ducks only at supper time. The dog is not allowed out when they are eating their supper, so we have thus avoided any food thefts lol.

The chicken poop eating is next to impossible. It is so disgusting. We have a puppy and when she sees a pile or smells it - her brain literally switches off. Sit is her most obeyed command right now and even that she seems not to hear. It's got crack or something in it. She also will grab dried up goose pies and try to run off with them (leashed or not lol). And there is no way on God's earth that I am fishing that out of her mouth. Then she ends up with brown lipstick all over her mouth...*gag*

If ANYone has successfully trained their dog to not eat this junk- please let us know! LOL

My dog's used to eat the ducks and chickens feed when it was accesible to them. I added cayene pepper to the feed, it doesn't bother the birds though it can affect egg taste.
One of my dog's develped a taste for duck poop, not chicken poop though. Now, 3 of the 5 will eat duck poop. I was letting the birds range in the yard area for a few weeks and apparently goose poop is even better.
roll.png
I have decided to look at is as at least the dog's are getting additional fiber since geese eat mainly grass.
lau.gif
The dog's will be upset after the next hard rain washes away any leftover poop since I moved the birds back into the pasture where the dog's can't go.

my dog Tess is starting to eat the duck feed when we take off the lid of the container to scoop some out for the ducks! I was even suprised to see the dogs where I got our latest girl just roaming through the ducks and chickens and going over to eat their feed too...is this normal?
This does not surprise me. My dog loves Koi food and follows me to the pond so she can snag any little pieces that drop.

Yep Tess is right there waiting. I've heard about dogs eating cat poop out of the litter boxes, I guess the phrase "dirt dog" got it's name honestly...lol
I take out peas and bread in the morning and the ducks come running and there is Tess waiting on the other side of the fence for her share of peas and bread.

I buy expensive grain free dog food. Then my dog eats the duck food every time I am not looking. At least she looks ashamed when I catch her. She's a really good dog so I can't get too mad.

Back
Top Bottom