Dog attack yesterday, two pullets dead. One pullets limping, will not open eye, and has swollen cro

shanmaria1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 27, 2013
Ok. Yesterday our puppy got into the chicken pen. She killed two of our 15 pullets. I looked everyone over yesterday and thought the remaining 13 were fine. Today I noticed one of the austrolorps was limping, she also would not open her right eye. I fed and watered them. She is drinking but I didn't see her eat.. I picked her up and noticed that her crop was kind of puffy and felt like there was liquid in it. I separated her from the rest because I was unsure if she was hurt during the attack or if this is an illness. I looked her over and noticed two very small cuts (about 1mm) that were not opened but maybe healing?? I guess I just need advise as to wether this is illnes or injury???

Ok. Yesterday our puppy got into the chicken pen. She killed two of our 15 pullets. I looked everyone over yesterday and thought the remaining 13 were fine. Today I noticed one of the austrolorps was limping, she also would not open her right eye. I fed and watered them. She is drinking but I didn't see her eat.. I picked her up and noticed that her crop was kind of puffy and felt like there was liquid in it. I separated her from the rest because I was unsure if she was hurt during the attack or if this is an illness. I looked her over and noticed two very small cuts (about 1mm) that were not opened but maybe healing?? I guess I just need advise as to wether this is illnes or injury???
For her limp,try giving her an epsom salt soak for about 15-20 minutes,this is good for sprains/sore muscles. check her eye for any injury,if she has an injury,i recommend a product called Vetericyn it is used for wounds and infection,can also be sprayed around eyes. You can also use any eye ointment( i have used polysporin 2 antibiotic eye ointment)as long as it has no ingredients in it that end in "cain"(toxic to chickens). As for her crop,you will have to wait and see if her crop is empty in morning. She is probably stressed over attack and it may take her a couple of days(if not longer)to feel better. I would keep her inside home,in a dog crate to monitor her condition. Make sure she is eating/drinking.

Last edited:
Thank you! I did put electrolytes and vitamin b into her water. She also ate some scrambled egg last night. I opened her eye and couldn't see an injury but will watch....

Back
Top Bottom