Does anyone know about whether a nutria will hurt a chicken?

kyckling66

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 23, 2012
Prairieville, LA
Tonight I saw a nutria walking around the exterior of my chicken coop (with the infrared of my "chicken cam"). Does anyone have experience with this? Will a nutria attack a chicken?

Nutria are really big rats common in the south near the gulf coast states. We don't have them hear but I've read they only eat plants. Norway rats like eating eat, younger chickens.

Last edited:
nutria rats are vegetartians, but they will eat small stuff such as snails and maybe crawfish.

nutria rats like to build borrows to live in. Maybe the nutria has built a tunnel under the chicken coop somewhere?

I personally would not worry about it.

Last edited:
Nutria live in marshes, wetlands, tidal areas. Are you in such a place? LA, I would assume so. Like said above, vegatarians. Don't worry about it, as long as your ID is correct.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I'm in marshland, near a bayou in Southern Louisina. I'm new to chickens, and although I know that the primary diet for nurtrias is vegitation, it still seemed a bit menacing that he looked so intent on getting into the coop. Maybe the smell of they hay or chicken food? In any case, thanks... I feel a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom