Do you keep food available inside your hen house?

Ours is a run, too. We had to put off building a proper coop until fall, when the hell months have passed and we can return to doing stuff outdoors.

It's a long run against a fence, about 180 sq ft. They have food and water in the run. The outdoor brooder is at one end of the run. That's functioning as a hen house with a pop door.

It's predator proof and in a sheltered location with shade so it gives them good protection against the summer storms which can be violent.

They need water in the brooder/henhouse because it's hot at night here during the summer. I don't want to cut them off from water all night. The waterer is mounted on the wall so they can't turn it over or dump it.

We're doing deep litter with 10" of pine shavings. They grew up with food in there and they like to kick up the pine shavings looking for grain. That's a natural chicken thing to do of course but we're trying to keep it to a minimum because they keep filling up the water cups and then they run out of water.

We cleaned out the brooder and replaced all the litter with fresh so there shouldn't be any more grain to find. I might try getting them a nipple waterer instead.

Is it tough for them to transition to a nipple waterer after only having water cups, or do they figure it out on their own?

Last edited:
Yes, we have a big rubber trash bin with feeding ports that has feed in it. I know the chickens don't eat at night but sometimes we don't get out to let them out right at first light, especially in the summer. So they can eat if they want to in the early morning while waiting for us. We're not usually too late after sunrise, though, so when we open the doors they come out and get a good drink right away from the bucket beside the door.

I don't keep feed in the coop. I do leave food in the run overnight because I'm not there to feed them in the mornings. They have an automatic door which opens in the morning.
There is an exception to this and that's when a broody is hatching chicks.
I leave chick feed in the coop for the first week or so.
I have tried leaving feed in the coop in the past and it attracted rodents.

Back
Top Bottom