Do hens raise their neck feathers?

SusanH

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 31, 2009
upstate SC
Hello all,

I've got a dozen 6 week old chicks and while I'm pretty sure I have 3 roos, I have some that I thought were hens that seem to be exhibiting some male behaviors.

They will lower their heds and the feathers around their necks will flare out like I've seen roosters do when they are challenging each other. Is this what's called establishing a "pecking order"?

I have a chick that has a comb that's a little large, but it's totally yellow and there are no obvious spurs on the legs, just the little bumps. But she will chase other hens and challenge even the small boys.

Do hens act this way? These are the first chickens I've ever owned, RIR, and I love them!
lol.png

Thanks

That's encouraging, because the hen that does it the most is also my favorite. I keep checking her for spurs and a larger comb because I don't want her to be a boy!
big_smile.png

I have two hens that are battling for the top of the pecking order. They'll do it several times a day at each other. I saw it for the first time last week and I had the same reaction as you. How old are yours?

Quote:
My two top hens have been battling for months now. My rooster has to step in and break up their knock down, drag out fights.

Quote:
My two top hens have been battling for months now. My rooster has to step in and break up their knock down, drag out fights.

hehehehe...women
tongue.png

I've told my hubby about my MIL or mom moving in with us...it's hard to have 2 Queens in the house...there is only room for one...and that's ME.
lol.png

My chicken keeps doing the same thing, but she stays in the hen house all the time and I don’t know what is wrong plz help

Back
Top Bottom