Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

Do Chickens Really Need a Run?

• Yes

Votes: 24 82.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 17.2%

• Total voters
Gosh, He looks so much like my dog Dusty. I didn't have the chickens when he was still alive, but I would not have trusted him with them. When my brother had him, he killed a couple of his neighbors homers that landed in the yard. I'm sorry for your loss, somehow it always seems worse around the holidays.
Drake was a little over 11 years and had several things wrong with him. Poor thing couldn’t even control his slobber! :lau No, really, he always did that.

The seemingly obvious answer to the original question "is a run necessary", would be no.

My reasoning, most successful commercial egg and meat farmers use enclosed structures which allow maximum controls over their flock and production. Chickens are domesticated fowl bred to survive under these conditions.

That said, my coop is sized to house my numbers with relative comfort. I believe this to be crucial. Attached is a very secure large run with which they have unlimited access 24/7.

Although my flock prefers to be outdoors whenever possible, there are several days yearly where they do not venture outdoors, usually during inclement weather or harassed by a frustrated predictor.

IMO, it all depends on your outlook towards animals. If they have enough space to be active enough to stay healthy both physically and mentally I wouldn't think a run would be necessary. However, as others have said, they seem to enjoy being outside immensely and if I am capable of providing them with access to the outdoors, I would not in good conscience be able to restrict them from it completely. There are show horses that live in stalls and dogs that live in apartments, but both are usually allowed access to room for physical activity which keeps them healthy.

:thumbsup
@Cyprus, I certainly hope this wasn’t directed at my post since it immediately followed it. Never once would I intentionally criticize anyone on their animal husbandry (not simply from something I’ve read on the internet, at least).

Please let me know if you feel I’ve unjustly criticized you and I’ll remove my post. :hit
No, you are fine :)

IMO, it all depends on your outlook towards animals. If they have enough space to be active enough to stay healthy both physically and mentally I wouldn't think a run would be necessary. However, as others have said, they seem to enjoy being outside immensely and if I am capable of providing them with access to the outdoors, I would not in good conscience be able to restrict them from it completely. There are show horses that live in stalls and dogs that live in apartments, but both are usually allowed access to room for physical activity which keeps them healthy.
And just like apartment dogs, you could get one of those chicken leashes and take them for walks!
:lau
41-Z274tCDL._AC_SY400_.jpg

(source: random pic of internet)

Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

Back
Top Bottom