Do’s and Don’ts of Using Duck Poop as Fertilizer/Compost

CayugaJana

Free Ranging
Sep 2, 2017
I know it’s almost winter but I was thinking about what to do with the straw and duck poop that I’ve pulled out of the shed I keep them in when the it’s nasty out. I also am going to move their outside pen and will have to shovel some of it off as that area is a little raised up. I’m sure I will have quite a pile once I’m finished. If it sets over the winter, what are some applications for it? My neighbors and I share a vegetable garden and it’s huge. I’ve thought about putting it there. But are their things I shouldn’t do with it?

It needs to compost and mellow. Do you freeze where you are at? Generally unless you have a big hot compost pile going it won't compost down enough by spring. I put manure that was cleaned out in the spring on a pile. It sits for a year than is applied the following year in the fall.

Poultry poop is considered hot because of the high nitrogen content and will burn plants if not composted down.

I can confirm that, duck poop doesn't kill the plant, even if they pile up quite some stuff over the grass that surrounds the pond, grass doesn't get burnt. It actually looks better than grass with no droppings. Sometimes they actually pile up their droppings and completely cover the grass below, grass will just grow out normally, same as if it would be covered with a layer of soil.
I used water from the pond in which ducks do their thing, without any issues. In fact, the plants I used it on were much greener, healthier and grew much better than plants I watered with clean water. Next year, I will plant some corn and millet close to their pond and water it only with their diluted droppings. I only have 5 ducks, but they create enough fertilizer for whole garden which is not small at all. If I would want to drain (or take out like 2/3 of water and replace it with fresh water) I could use the water as fertilizer again in like 14 days.

I think I might do that then. They spend quite a bit of money adding fertilizer every year. I think I’ll add the compost and their egg shells. It seems like my tomatoes are always calcium deficient. I wish I had a way to add the old pool water to it.

Today I have to Dump my Kiddie pool...We are getting Snow and temps down to -17C....I'm putting the poop water on my Strawberry patch...I haul all my Dirty Duck straw to my Pasture and spread it out...My Chicken pooped shavings go under the spruce trees...

I know it’s almost winter but I was thinking about what to do with the straw and duck poop that I’ve pulled out of the shed I keep them in when the it’s nasty out. I also am going to move their outside pen and will have to shovel some of it off as that area is a little raised up. I’m sure I will have quite a pile once I’m finished. If it sets over the winter, what are some applications for it? My neighbors and I share a vegetable garden and it’s huge. I’ve thought about putting it there. But are their things I shouldn’t do with it?
I have been using duck poop in my compost and turn it regularly. Have even grown plants in it and save and water it down for fertilizer. My plants have gone mad! Just wandering if you find there can be a lot of weeds grow in it? I made my compost like a garden bed and just turn it and wait a few days and then use it . Hope myself I am doing the right thing too! :thumbsup Good luck with your ducks and Garden!!

Back
Top Bottom