Dill's Giant Atlantic pumpkin diary

Well make sure you keep the damn rabbits out of your patch!!!!! Last year they got into mine and chewed through the vines, I had one close to 60 pounds and about 35 days left to maturity. Hate to say but all the rabbits went into the crockpot in November.
Mark
The garden is fenced in such a manner that rabbits are not a problem. The neighborhood cats make sure there are very few or no rabbits here.

My biggest problem here is a short growing season followed by an abundance of voles.

I wouldn't mind a few bunnies around because they are delicious.

Last edited:
#1 day 22 - 11" long and 10" in diameter.
20230802_091749.jpg
20230802_134336.jpg

R2elk when is your growing season over? Just curious I live in central Missouri and we usually get first frost in mid October but then it usually only last a couple days then back to low 70’ and high 60’s. I usually put a clear plastic sheeting over them at night and take off after the sun comes up. I can usually get 3 more weeks doing this.
Mark

R2elk when is your growing season over? Just curious I live in central Missouri and we usually get first frost in mid October but then it usually only last a couple days then back to low 70’ and high 60’s. I usually put a clear plastic sheeting over them at night and take off after the sun comes up. I can usually get 3 more weeks doing this.
Mark
First frost is normally the first weekend of September. It has frosted as early as Aug. 17.

Depends on the year but I usually can extend the growing season by a couple of weeks by turning the sprinklers on at night on the nights that it frosts.

Back
Top Bottom