Depressed cat

Chicken poppy

Fashionably late 🎤🦆
May 9, 2021
Poppyland
Hi all, i have been getting very concerned with my cats health and need advice.

She is my baby and comforter through my highs and lows and i don’t know what i would do without her. I would hate to bring her to the vet for no reason because she just went to get her annual rabies shot and a wellness check up, she was fine then and this check up was a little over a month ago. (April 17th)
More information and why i’m concerned.
She is a spayed female Orange tabby who is around the age of 5. She is a warrior and words can’t describe how much i love her, but I’m feeling so guilty right now. I admit i have not been giving her the attention she deserves. I have been very busy lately with chickens and some life problems that makes me think she might be depressed. Of course, i am trying to spend as much time as possible with her now, i feel absolutely horrible. I would rather it be depression or blues then a disease or problem, though.

Her symptoms: Sleeping a LOT. Same spot, too. Under the table on a turtle blanket of hers. Kiwi has always been rambunctious, bouncing off walls and hyper. She would sleep on family members and sometimes on occasion, me, and there have been a few times she has seemed sad but this time really just concerns me. She doesn’t come upstairs that much anymore like she used to.

She seems to be eating less and today we saw a poop of hers on the basement stairs, and a week or so ago some hairball or something on the floor maybe poop, this concerns me because she has literally been liter box trained since she was a few weeks old (when we got her.)

She seems to drink less though i’m unsure, and just seems off, more then usual.
Her grooming is good i think, all seems well from the outside i think aswell, she comes outside but doesn’t get hyper like before and this has been lasting a few weeks.

Any advice? What should i do? I will obviously take her to the vet if i need to but i’m looking for some advice or if maybe this is just some depression. She doesn’t really play now and it breaks my heart, but she is loooving the combing with a brush i bought her, she purrs a lot for it too. I need some reassurance here, nothing to bad could have happened within this amount of time, right?

Getting her kidneys checked and checked for a UTI is a good idea.

Cats don't get depressed like people do. They sulk for a day or two then are over it.

Sleeping a lot (lethargic with decreased activity while awake), not eating the same, making potty outside the litter box and drinking less can all be signs something is wrong.

You say she got vaccines a month ago and has been off for a few weeks now....it's time to call the vet.

Getting her kidneys checked and checked for a UTI is a good idea.

Cats don't get depressed like people do. They sulk for a day or two then are over it.

Sleeping a lot (lethargic with decreased activity while awake), not eating the same, making potty outside the litter box and drinking less can all be signs something is wrong.

You say she got vaccines a month ago and has been off for a few weeks now....it's time to call the vet.
Thank you. I’m going to change her food, water, and adjust things i think may have caused her behavior. If this doesn’t resolve very soon i will be calling the vet.

Did you switch from her normal food after the vet visit?

If so switching back MIGHT help but if it doesn't it's best to have kitty checked out. Her behavior you described is concerning enough to get her looked at.

Did you switch from her normal food after the vet visit?

If so switching back MIGHT help but if it doesn't it's best to have kitty checked out. Her behavior you described is concerning enough to get her looked at.
No, she has never been switched from food since i have gotten her as a kitten (besides of course, kitten to adult transition) all the same.

I was wrong on this, though, she is drinking her water well and ate some dry food. I gave the water a good cleaning.

A change in behavior like this is always a reason to take a cat to a vet. They are very very good at hiding when they are sick or injured. By the time it’s noticeable to us they can be very sick. It could be absolutely nothing but it could also just as easily be something life threatening.

A change in behavior like this is always a reason to take a cat to a vet. They are very very good at hiding when they are sick or injured. By the time it’s noticeable to us they can be very sick. It could be absolutely nothing but it could also just as easily be something life threatening.
Thank you. Her behavior has dramatically improved since, she is eating wet and dry, drinking, and she slept with me last night. Rolling around on her back for belly rubs and etc, she is still a little sleepy but i think she is getting a lot better. I am still keeping a vet call at the back of my mind incase it needs to be done, the vets here are so expensive so i was trying to just wait and see if what i was changing would somewhat alter her behavior before calling.

Back
Top Bottom