ShaliniW1985

Chirping
Jul 2, 2020
About a month ago, my two broody hens had Lauer two fertile ebbs that should have hatched over the past few days. Yesterday, the two eggs were moving and one was internally pipped, but was making no progress in pipping so I gently made an air hole, and hoped that the ducklings would hatch out on their own and that I would help them the next day if they didn't hatch. This morning, I went outside to check on the eggs and saw no progress so I began to open the eggs. One egg was underdeveloped and didn’t make it. The other that was moving yesterday and was alive was fully formed but hadn‘t absorbed the yolk and was unresponsive.There was no blood when I removed the top half of the shell and it appeared to be okay, but it didn’t move or peep. I put the ducklings in with its yolk and the lower half of its shell back in the nesting box to see if maybe it was asleep. I haven’t been out there since but I don’t have much hope. Is it possible that the baby is asleep, or is it certainly dead? The two moms have been taking care of these eggs and would be devastated if they were dead. My last hope would be to get replacement hatchlings for them.

That might be difficult but it basically looked like a normal hatchling, but it wasn’t moving or peeping. It was in its egg position and there was still remaining took in the egg.
Were there any veins? It sounds dead. They are usually very active and noisy when opened. Better look around for some day olds. I'm sorry.

Were there any veins? It sounds dead. They are usually very active and noisy when opened. Better look around for some day olds. I'm sorry.
It’s ok, I buried it around an hour ago, he was crawling with bugs and hadn’t moved when I went back outside. Thank you anyway for the help.

I have one more question that I would appreciate your advice on, now that we know that the ducklings has passed, I’m going to get some new ducklings to replace the others for the moms. I’ve heard that before introducing new birds from other farms, you need to quarantine them first. Is that true for babies as well or just adults, cause I want to immediately put them in the nest.

I have one more question that I would appreciate your advice on, now that we know that the ducklings has passed, I’m going to get some new ducklings to replace the others for the moms. I’ve heard that before introducing new birds from other farms, you need to quarantine them first. Is that true for babies as well or just adults, cause I want to immediately put them in the nest.
Try to buy from an NPIP farm, but if you can't find one it should be ok, just this once. Look around at the birds there if at all possible, examine their feather condition, living spaces, and overall cleanliness. Don't buy birds from a dirty place, no matter what. It's not possible to quarantine them in your place, so maybe just keep the hens and ducklings separated from your main flock. You can introduce them to the main flock in a week or two. Your hens are ducks, correct? What breed? Also, try to find ducklings as quickly as possible. They still might not accept the babies, so be prepared to brood them yourself if need be. Good luck.

I’ve already found a farm close to where I am and I am going to pick up Khaki Campbell ducklings for our khaki campbell moms. I’m hopefully going to pick them up in the morning as well as a couple of quail, but we want the moms to have a close relationship with them. We will monitor them and I will make sure their surroundings are clean, but I want them to be there for the mamas. Thank you much! :love

Back
Top Bottom