Dead duck!

BlueO

Chirping
Nov 8, 2023
Hello everyone! So a few days ago I went to put the ducks up and one of my ducks was dead! It scared the heck out of me! This was a drake and he had an abscess on his wing I brought him to the vet and they gave him a shot and prescription. I thought that I would not need to bring him back and that the bone grown over his solid abscess. He seem to be doing better until suddenly started losing a bit more weight I thought it must be normal. Then I walk in… dead duck😢! I assume he died from infection because of the abscess. Something like this is not contagious to my hens or other Drake right😓? I really don’t want any of my other ducks today considering I’ve lost two in one week(one was a duckling wit internal problems).

Help would be much appreciated! Thank you!

If the cause of death was the abscess, no, that's not contagious. An abscess is caused by infection in a wound or follicle, so that wouldn't be something that could spread.

If the cause of death was the abscess, no, that's not contagious. An abscess is caused by infection in a wound or follicle, so that wouldn't be something that could spread.
Good thank you. This is probably kind of odd, but do you know why the medicine didn’t work?

Do you know what antibiotic it was? Did the vet clean out and flush the abscess?
No it was solid. And I don’t know the medicine the vets mix two together. This is a pick of it a while back, but it got much bigger.

Attachments

• IMG_1156.jpeg
    IMG_1156.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1157.jpeg
    IMG_1157.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 3
The infection was probably too advanced and he was too weak. Antibiotics work best when they are given early on and the bird is still strong. It can be hard to do that since they try to hide any illness from predators and flock mates. Try to check them over from time to time in order to catch stuff early, if they are easy to handle.

Last edited:
I am very sorry about your drake.

It's especially frustrating when you've taken the time and spent money for veterinary treatment -- have tried to do everything right -- and your poor bird still doesn't survive.

Hope the rest of your ducks are and stay well.

The infection was probably too advanced and he was too weak. Antibiotics work best when they are given early on and the bird is still strong. It can be hard to do that since they try to hide any illness from predators and flock mates. Try to check them over from time to time in order to catch stuff early, if they are easy to handle.
Thank you I will.

I am very sorry about your drake.

It's especially frustrating when you've taken the time and spent money for veterinary treatment -- have tried to do everything right -- and your poor bird still doesn't survive.

Hope the rest of your ducks are and stay well.
Thanks and he was doing so much better for a while😭.

Back
Top Bottom