Duckduckgoosie

Songster
May 27, 2021
Austin, Texas
Well heck, it’s day 9 and nothing seems to be happening with the eggs under my bantam cochin.

Do I need to hatch right now? Not really. But I was so excited for a hen to do it, and our little bantam cochin flock is so beautiful.

If it's day 9 [and not actually 19] it will be awhile.
Have you candled?
Yes, I’ve been candling each day for past three days. I see yolk mass but everything else is clear, in all of them. My friend took some about a week earlier to incubate and reports all clear 😭

I guess I’ll let mama sit on them through the 14th day just to be sure, but I’m bummed. I see my rooster do his thing with them, this little flock of bantam cochins are beautiful.

Yes, I’ve been candling each day for past three days. I see yolk mass but everything else is clear, in all of them. My friend took some about a week earlier to incubate and reports all clear 😭

I guess I’ll let mama sit on them through the 14th day just to be sure, but I’m bummed. I see my rooster do his thing with them, this little flock of bantam cochins are beautiful.
You may need to trim fluff.

So, to end this attempt- just take her eggs away?

I wish there was a way to explain. Poor girl, she’s been perfect.

Then trim vents & try collecting again, and hope for another broody?

Also the great switch has been pulled. Today’s day 0 for the four frizzle eggs she has now. Sister Sammie is also still broody, next to her, watches the clutch when Daisy takes a break to go walk around a little. Daisy has to steal her eggs back but mostly Sammie just sits near her. I am not intending to break Sammie’s broodiness unless it seems unsafe?
here’s video

Back
Top Bottom