Day 23, has this little one died?

Lauralou2

Hatching
Apr 15, 2024
Hi All,

So out of all the bantam eggs, we had two surviving eggs. One hatched on day 21, and it is now day 23 and there has been no sign of hatching. I believe this little one has died. Can anyone help by confirming the photos below? The mark at the bottom isn't a beak or anything, it is a black mark running down the side of the membrane.

Will I need to find another newly hatched chick to keep my chick company if so?

Attachments

• IMG_20240429_074008.jpg
    IMG_20240429_074008.jpg
    244.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20240429_074020.jpg
    IMG_20240429_074020.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 5
Hi All,

So out of all the bantam eggs, we had two surviving eggs. One hatched on day 21, and it is now day 23 and there has been no sign of hatching. I believe this little one has died. Can anyone help by confirming the photos below? The mark at the bottom isn't a beak or anything, it is a black mark running down the side of the membrane.

Will I need to find another newly hatched chick to keep my chick company if so?
It's hard to tell but if you say there's a black mark running down the side of the membrane, that doesn't sound good. I can't see that but from what I see, it looks similar to mine that are viable.

I'd give it another 12 hours and then break it open.

I've raised an orphan before just fine, but chicks are social so usually do better with another one or two pals. What I did was play the TV which is only 6' from the brooder. That kept him quiet. After a couple of days, he didn't cry at all unless he heard us walk by and ignore him.

It's hard to tell but if you say there's a black mark running down the side of the membrane, that doesn't sound good. I can't see that but from what I see, it looks similar to mine that are viable.

I'd give it another 12 hours and then break it open.

I've raised an orphan before just fine, but chicks are social so usually do better with another one or two pals. What I did was play the TV which is only 6' from the brooder. That kept him quiet. After a couple of days, he didn't cry at all unless he heard us walk by and ignore him.
Hi Debbie!
How far along are your eggs? 😊
At first I thought the shadow was a beak but looking further it is just a shadow on the membrane :(

Hopefully it is still viable, but time will tell!

Thank you for the advice, if I am unable to source a friend for them I shall follow what you have done. Thank you

Hi Debbie!
How far along are your eggs? 😊
At first I thought the shadow was a beak but looking further it is just a shadow on the membrane :(

Hopefully it is still viable, but time will tell!

Thank you for the advice, if I am unable to source a friend for them I shall follow what you have done. Thank you
Mine are due the 1st. Good luck either way! ❤️

Back
Top Bottom