Cuckoo Maran or cuckoo leghorn?

TransplantedTexan

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2007
Bear Creek, Wi
I have ten of these I got in from a hatchery.
I suspect they are cuckoo leghorns, because I ordered ten brown layers, and ten white layers. I know I have ten amber sex links. So the ambers are the brown layers.
So, the question is, do you think these are cuckoo leghorns,
or cuckoo marans. I think they are leghorns cause they are supposed to be white layers, but they both look so similar to me. They are 19 weeks old, but not laying yet.
Disregard the EE hen in the first pic, I know what she is.

1.jpg

2.jpg

How can I disregard a girl so cute???

I think your barreds are leghorns because they have yellow legs where marans have dark legs.

hatcheries don't sell barred leghorns. What you have are barred rocks if the comb is single, dominique if its not. Leghorns ALWAYS have white ear lobes and those do not.

Last edited:
My Barred Rocks have dark legs, too. And it looks like a single comb so it can't be a Dominecker. It would have to be one of the orange legged breeds.

Quote:
Hatcheries do in fact sell Barred Leghorns. Go Check out the White Layers are Privett.

Your birds are not Marans because their legs are yellow, they seem pretty slim to be Barred Rocks so I'll go with Leghorns too.

Last edited:
They are very skittish, and flighty.
They were the first to roost up in the coop, and the rafters are about 8 feet off the ground. You can't come near them, they take off.
If that helps.

Barred rocks and Dominiques have brown eggs , and I think the the brown layers of my bunch are the ambers in the picture.
So that would leave leghorns and the California grey for barred white egg layers.
I looked at a bunch of Leghorn pics and I see what Smoky73 says, they all have white ear lobes.
Still not sure though.
Heres a couple more.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Back
Top Bottom