Coop built on Skids

Junaleefarm

Chirping
9 Years
Nov 21, 2011
Crane, Mo
I build all my coops and various small outbuildings on skids. These are very easy to move about the field so we do not need to clean the bottom of the coops. It is also an easy way to spread the litter without all the shoveling and hard work. Of course you will probably need a vehicle of some sort to move them(unless you add some wheels to the design). I will try to get out and take some pics tomorrow if the weather is better. Anybody else use this philosophy? We use to preach the deep litter method- as a matter of fact we were the original poster in the "deep litter method" sticky when we were on years ago as chrisntiff. But we have changed are outlook.

Chris

Skids are always a good idea, Junalee, if the slope and grade of your landscape will allow it. They make relocating a storage shed or a chicken coop a snap. So "skid away" if you can.

By the way, why did y'all get away from the DLM approach? I'm in the first-timer set up mode now, so more knowledge on the subject is more than appreciated.

Beers y'all,
Ken

89559_tractor.jpg

Here is a picture of my chicken tractor when it was about 90% done. I move it every week so that the chickens get fresh grass and it helps fertilize the yard. The coop is 8 x 6 ft with an additional 8 x 10 ft run. Of course I do use a utility tractor to move it. I can pull it from either end. I can't let the chickens free range because we have a large eagle population here. Works great. It is set up for winter in a spot that is protected from the wind. Thought I'd share.
smile.png

Hello- How did you build that roof?? It looks great. We are designing our coop/shed and we are totally stuck on the roof. It seems so hard! We thought maybe a slanted roof?? 6" high on the left and 7" high on the right. Very confused from there on out. Looking at how to build a slanted roof on google and it is like reading chinese! We have only constructed the chicken run. It came out great. That is the only thing we have ever built. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated!

The roof was the only part I had to have help with. My son in-law built 4 rafters to fit the 8 ft width of the coop. They sit right on top of the frame for the body.
Menards (WI) had that size rafters already built for that width and not very expensive, but I didn't know they would fit so I asked for help.
hmm.png
Here is a pic showing them in the framing stage. Hope that helps.

89559_100_3528.jpg

Beautiful coop design! We are just now beginning ours and want to do a similar design - built on skids, as we will be rotating it daily behind our cows for pasture fertility. Did you have a blueprint that you went by or did you just design this yourself? What is the capacity of your coop - how many chickens? Thank you for any help you can send my way!

Hi!

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I just designed it myself. No blueprints. I used 4-6 green treated lumber for the skids and rounded the ends to prevent digging into the ground when pulling it with the tractor. I have 13 chickens in it, but I think it would hold a few more depending how often you move it.
The skids are 16 ft long and 8 ft wide. The actual coop is 6 ft long and the width is 8 ft wide. The cross beams on the bottom are 4x4 instead of 4x6. I did that so that it would not dig into the earth when pulling.Otherwise I framed it in with 2x4s and bought little cheep windows at Menards. Also I used the steel wire not chicken wire. I think .25 squares. I have had the coop since 2011 and have never had a predator after any of my chickens and the coop is as good as when I built it.

I am sorry for not being much help, but I am not a carpenter. I just winged it as I went along. I just did everything with the idea I didn't want it to fall apart when I pulled it with the tractor. So far, so good.

Regards

Connie

Connie -

How did you attach the 4x4 posts to the skids. Considering a similar design but worried about horizontal support when towing. It looks like you used some kind of metal bracing from the picture (hard to see). Is the coop still holding up well after all of the moves?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Doesn't look like Connie has been posting much, so I'll throw in my 2 cents. Those are angled brace brackets and can be purchased at many of the box stores. Hers likely came from Mendards. Home Depot should also have them. Used for bracing decks, etc.

Other than it looks like the run was enclosed with chicken wire, she did a great job on her design and build.

BTW, my Woods coop is also on skids. Similar design......and as long as you are watchful of digging predators, it will work well.

Back
Top Bottom