Cochin Thread!!!

I have to chime in on the dual purpose thing.
My lovely bantam Cochins lay very well. As good as, if not better, than my LF in all the other breeds I own. I seldom sell the eggs for eating but have done it when I needed to and we eat them when we need to but mostly I set them for hatching. My Cochins and Silkies are laying now and did through our 9 degree nights.
Look at my website you see I have a lot of bantam Cochins in many colors and patterns. Mine are not strictly show birds but are first and foremost my pets. They live outside on the ground in most cases, are certainly allowed outside on the ground every day for great health. I do not like to keep my birds in little cages. Hate that! But that is another rant for another time.
I have well over 100 bantam Cochins here, most times over 200. I eat my extra boys. I get great meat off of them. They have great breast meat though the leg quarters are stingy. I am a realist. No use making the boys fight among themselves, giving or selling to a horrible home when they can go gracefully into the next realm. I have never taken mine to an auction or sale and I never will! That makes me nauseous. But to each his own.
I have birds that are very competitive at shows. Big whoop. When you breed a lot of birds they have to go somewhere and mine go in my freezer. Naturally, my favorites don't.
But, yes, mine are dual purpose. Mine are not hatchery birds but lay very well! They grow up thick and meaty. I don't breed for that, they just are made that way. Healthy birds produce well in both areas.
Cochins are royalty but you got to do what you got to do.
I am sorry this thread took a wrong turn and I seldom come here because of things that get out of hand but as being one who uses the birds as dual purpose, I had to chime in!

Oh, and for going broody. Mine might go broody twice a year but mostly they do not. I have busy girls. I think they become more broody when bored though I still have some that go broody when the need is there. I will let them sit on eggs, hatch and raise the babies. I have some bantam Cochins that have never gone broody and are 5 and 6 years old.

Hello Cochin fanciers. I just got my first trio of standard size Cochins two days ago and I am HOOKED. I just adore this breed! I was wondering if anyone out there is breeding Colombian or Calico and will sell eggs this spring? Or even chicks, pullets or adults if in the Oklahoma area (I would rather pick live animals up so Oklahoma, or surrounding states that aren't too far from NE Ok.).

edit: Or Mille fleur... I just saw pictures of those and love them!

Last edited:
Not really meaning to keep tthe pot stirring regarding dual purposive, but. . . .

It is indeed possible and maybe appropriate to eat both eggs and the meat from any poultry, but in considering purposeful breeding one needs to consider the work that has gone before and the generally accepted standards involved. In the case of the Cochin while they are big boned, for all of the reasons previously posted and others as well, they are not well suited as a production breed based upon the standards of production. By the early 1900s production growers concluded that Cochins were not profitable. Their rise in popularity when the were developed was and nearly always has been as an exhibition breed. Production standards require something in the area of 250+ eggs per year for egg production and a much faster and fuller body weight for meat production. As pointed out, based upon these standards, Cochins have never cut it as a profitable production animal. Becuase of this unprofitability as a production variety breeders have spent over a hundred years developing and creating accepted standards of them simply as an exhibition variety.

There isn't anything right or wrong about production varieties or exhibition varieities but the realty is that some are best suited and accepted for one or the other or both in the case of true dual purpose. Sometimes that lack of knowledge or understanding mixed with a lack of tact can create unnecessary misunderstanding, complexity, and a false degree of worthiness/superiority.

As Amy demonstrated the decision to eat or not is personal and realistic for each situation. However, if one is truly hoping to meet the standards of production breeds, the Cochin is just not an appropriate candidate nor has it ever been.

Hopefully, no harm no foul (or should that be fowl?).

Dave

Hello Cochin fanciers. I just got my first trio of standard size Cochins two days ago and I am HOOKED. I just adore this breed! I was wondering if anyone out there is breeding Colombian or Calico and will sell eggs this spring? Or even chicks, pullets or adults if in the Oklahoma area (I would rather pick live animals up so Oklahoma, or surrounding states that aren't too far from NE Ok.).

edit: Or Mille fleur... I just saw pictures of those and love them!

There is a poultry show at Pryor March 1. Calico and Mille are around but not a recognized variety and probably won't see any of those there.. I would love to tell you who to contact but I was reminded that I can not recommend anyone or any site as that breaking rule 7 which is about advertizing. I know who to send you to but I can't.

This is part of that message:.

Please do not respond to posts outside the Buy Sell Trade forum that are advertising, whether to buy, sell or trade. Also, please do not refer people to a state thread to do similar advertising.

Last edited:
I haven't seen any calico or millie colored cochins in the standard size.
Only bantam.

Dose anyone have any and got pics?
Love to see!

I have the bantams (23 of them)
Are the colors the same or better?

I have to chime in on the dual purpose thing.
My lovely bantam Cochins lay very well. As good as, if not better, than my LF in all the other breeds I own. I seldom sell the eggs for eating but have done it when I needed to and we eat them when we need to but mostly I set them for hatching. My Cochins and Silkies are laying now and did through our 9 degree nights.
Look at my website you see I have a lot of bantam Cochins in many colors and patterns. Mine are not strictly show birds but are first and foremost my pets. They live outside on the ground in most cases, are certainly allowed outside on the ground every day for great health. I do not like to keep my birds in little cages. Hate that! But that is another rant for another time.
I have well over 100 bantam Cochins here, most times over 200. I eat my extra boys. I get great meat off of them. They have great breast meat though the leg quarters are stingy. I am a realist. No use making the boys fight among themselves, giving or selling to a horrible home when they can go gracefully into the next realm. I have never taken mine to an auction or sale and I never will! That makes me nauseous. But to each his own.
I have birds that are very competitive at shows. Big whoop. When you breed a lot of birds they have to go somewhere and mine go in my freezer. Naturally, my favorites don't.
But, yes, mine are dual purpose. Mine are not hatchery birds but lay very well! They grow up thick and meaty. I don't breed for that, they just are made that way. Healthy birds produce well in both areas.
Cochins are royalty but you got to do what you got to do.
I am sorry this thread took a wrong turn and I seldom come here because of things that get out of hand but as being one who uses the birds as dual purpose, I had to chime in!

Oh, and for going broody. Mine might go broody twice a year but mostly they do not. I have busy girls. I think they become more broody when bored though I still have some that go broody when the need is there. I will let them sit on eggs, hatch and raise the babies. I have some bantam Cochins that have never gone broody and are 5 and 6 years old.

How many eggs do your bantams lay a week? I've gotten 3 so far and I'm debating if its my Cochin or not

Personal opinion, no offense intended, but I feel like coming to a thread made for ornamental/pet birds/ show birds to talk about trying to turn them into dinner, is like going to a thread on show horses and talking about horse meat. It's probably best if you just don't. Maybe start your own thread about it. You most likely won't find anyone on here trying to hatch birds for dinner. I may be wrong and I apologize if I am, I personally don't eat any of my birds, but the cochins and silkies are like cats and dogs to me. It's kind of stomach turning to talk about eating them.

Quote:
I will further explain my opinion:

>You have suggested that you cannot be a dedicated breeder of Cochins today unless you are trying to "restore" the breed to what it’s purpose may have been centuries ago.

>I would wager that most all chicken breeds in existence centuries ago were bred for dual purpose – that was pretty much the way of the world.

>I would suggest that Cochins are now more than just dual-purpose birds – for many owners, they are among the best of multi-purpose birds: Exhibition, Backyard, Meat and Egg Production.

Perhaps a better question might have been:
“Does anyone breed Cochins solely for meat & egg production?”

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I haven’t been on much lately – I don’t get my email notifications from BYC much anymore, which is also why I had to resign as Project Manager for a couple of things I was working on for BYC. I also can’t “Reply” very well – I’m typing this in Word right now, and will copy and paste it over to BYC in a minute or two.

Thank you Craig for reminding me, and Dak, if you’re lurking, please don’t let one rotten apple spoil the bunch.

My multi-purpose (exhibition, backyard and egg) Cochins continue to keep me very busy, and we hatched out six Golden Laced Bantams over the last 10 days of 2013. My Club activities also keep me very busy. I will try and remember to stay in touch will all my friends here on BYC!

Back
Top Bottom