Coccidiosis! Corid Isn’t Working!

I ordered toltrazuril. It will arrive Monday. I found dosages but not how long I’m supposed to do it for. I saw in other posts where some people only administered it one time. The kind I’m getting is direct dose only. How often and how long should I give it to her?

Is there any way to get the sulfa antibiotic from your regular vet, so it is started sooner? I will try to get dosage on toltrazuril since I have not used it. Can you tell me what the label looks like or where you ordered it?

Is there any way to get the sulfa antibiotic from your regular vet, so it is started sooner? I will try to get dosage on toltrazuril since I have not used it. Can you tell me what the label looks like or where you ordered it?
I don’t have a vet that will see or treat chickens. All I could find available without prescription was toltrazuril 5% oral suspension.

A litte update:

Today is day 3 of administering Toltrazuril. Along with that, I chose to deworm over the weekend. Deworming alone saved the Jersey’s life. I was concerned she wouldn’t make over the weekend, but the dewormer seemed to be exactly what she needed. She is almost back to her normal self! Unfortunately though, my youngest chick, a 5 week old Brahma, is currently taking her last breaths. It was too much for her tiny body to handle. We expected her to pass in the night but she didn’t. It is inevitable though. I have a 7 week old Brahma in the brooder with her that is also sick, but seems better than before, despite some weight loss. I’m hoping she’ll start gaining weight now. The chick I started this thread about has gained 3oz in under 2 days. So her treatment is working. I’m sitting here, waiting to see how this unfolds in the end. Whether we lose one, two or more. Thankfully nobody else has been sick, though. All have been treated with both medications. Yesterday was the first day I noticed the 5 week old Brahma was sick. She seemed fine before. To go from running around in the morning, to gasping for breaths later that same day, is something that will always shock me and make me question everything. We lost her sister at 1 week old to unknown causes, so she was special to us and we’re losing her too. Chickens will never stop ripping your heart out, but the time we spend with each one makes raising them worth it. Hoping for brighter days ahead!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom