Cocci and chicks eating the shavings

Stephine

Crowing
8 Years
May 30, 2016
Sonoma
Ugh - I am having a heck of a time this time around...
Chicks at almost three weeks all of a sudden unsure on their legs, stumbling, resting a lot. One in really bad shape, sitting on her butt, eyes closing, or gasping, beak not aligned, very weak. While I had that chick in my hands to check her over I realized that everone else was eating pine shavings like there’s no tomorrow. I have the feeder propped up on a turned over terracotta dish and they were pecking it clean of the shavings they had kicked on there, completely ignoring the bits of spilled feed...
My best guess was cocci - no good reason for it, it’s warm here and the brooder is bone dry. Anyway, quickly covered up the shavings with paper towel again, added Corid to water, dosed the one that looked terrible directly with a drop on the side of the beak.... With the towels down I could see that they indeed had diarrhea (no blood though). Next day the very sick one looked a bit better, the others about the same. Now day three (about 48 hrs of treatment) they are all better, though still a bit wobbly and sleepy. One had pasted up and I just cleaned her behind.
Anyway - this is my 5th time and I have never had anything likes this happen. Also, what’s with devouring the shavings? I had them on paper towels for 4-5 days, switched to shavings and watched them eat the occasional piece, but didn’t worry, because I have always done this and they’ve been fine. But with this batch they never stopped sampling I guess - and when they got sick ate it like candy! They were three weeks old on Wednesday!
Anybody else ever had this happen and what did you do about it? Thanks!

Ugh - I am having a heck of a time this time around...
Chicks at almost three weeks all of a sudden unsure on their legs, stumbling, resting a lot. One in really bad shape, sitting on her butt, eyes closing, or gasping, beak not aligned, very weak. While I had that chick in my hands to check her over I realized that everone else was eating pine shavings like there’s no tomorrow. I have the feeder propped up on a turned over terracotta dish and they were pecking it clean of the shavings they had kicked on there, completely ignoring the bits of spilled feed...
My best guess was cocci - no good reason for it, it’s warm here and the brooder is bone dry. Anyway, quickly covered up the shavings with paper towel again, added Corid to water, dosed the one that looked terrible directly with a drop on the side of the beak.... With the towels down I could see that they indeed had diarrhea (no blood though). Next day the very sick one looked a bit better, the others about the same. Now day three (about 48 hrs of treatment) they are all better, though still a bit wobbly and sleepy. One had pasted up and I just cleaned her behind.
Anyway - this is my 5th time and I have never had anything likes this happen. Also, what’s with devouring the shavings? I had them on paper towels for 4-5 days, switched to shavings and watched them eat the occasional piece, but didn’t worry, because I have always done this and they’ve been fine. But with this batch they never stopped sampling I guess - and when they got sick ate it like candy! They were three weeks old on Wednesday!
Anybody else ever had this happen and what did you do about it? Thanks!
Do they have access to grit if not I would get them some asap to keep them from getting impacted on wood chips.

Ugh, so treated for cocci, the chick that was bad initially got a tiny bit better, others kind of stagnated at not great. Ended Corid course and changed feed, supplemented vitamins. Now after 3 days of that three chicks look better, including the one that was sickest. One is still a bit unbalanced, the other two look close to normal. One chick still is doing poorly, sleepy, ruffled feathers. Might have to separate her tomorrow if not better. Wondering if this was/is AE. I definitely felt vibrating when holding them in my hand. Or a vitamin deficiency from eating mostly shavings? So hard to figure out. Keeping my fingers crossed for them all. Nobody did any growing/feathering worth mentioning since they got sick. I hope they‘ll fully recover and I don’t end up with 4 sickly hens that won’t lay... 🥲

Yes, I decided to skip the low dose phase because I was not convinced cocci was actually the problem, because they didn’t clearly look better. The symptoms could possibly also be a vitamin deficiency....
AE is Avian Encephalomyelitis.

We're seeing a very similar issue in our chicks, just about 2 weeks old. Two of them in particular are having a hard time, and 1 of those is almost not able to stand or move around at all today. Yesterday I noticed that they were eating, and today I'm not sure they can actually get to the food/water even if I bring them to it/move it to them. The prognosis I would say is definitely NOT good. I do not have access to amprol/corid without going through a vet in Canada.

Chicks aren't supposed to be given grit from day 1. Grit is only supposed to be given at the appropriate age of 3+ weeks when treats are given to help break it down.

Do you have pictures of your chicks?

@Wyorp Rock

@Eggcessive

@azygous

What are your opinions on the chicks?

Chicks at almost three weeks all of a sudden unsure on their legs, stumbling, resting a lot. One in really bad shape, sitting on her butt, eyes closing, or gasping, beak not aligned, very weak. While I had that chick in my hands to check her over I realized that everone else was eating pine shavings like there’s no tomorrow.

My best guess was cocci - no good reason for it, it’s warm here and the brooder is bone dry. Anyway, quickly covered up the shavings with paper towel again, added Corid to water, dosed the one that looked terrible directly with a drop on the side of the beak.... With the towels down I could see that they indeed had diarrhea (no blood though).

Now day three (about 48 hrs of treatment) they are all better, though still a bit wobbly and sleepy. One had pasted up and I just cleaned her behind.
Anyway - this is my 5th time and I have never had anything likes this happen. Also, what’s with devouring the shavings?

Ugh, so treated for cocci, the chick that was bad initially got a tiny bit better, others kind of stagnated at not great. Ended Corid course and changed feed, supplemented vitamins. Now after 3 days of that three chicks look better, including the one that was sickest. One is still a bit unbalanced, the other two look close to normal. One chick still is doing poorly, sleepy, ruffled feathers.

I definitely felt vibrating when holding them in my hand. Or a vitamin deficiency from eating mostly shavings? So hard to figure out. Keeping my fingers crossed for them all. Nobody did any growing/feathering worth mentioning since they got sick.
Absolutely give chicks grit from day one. That's what I do. They will eat bedding, puppy pad, paper towels, etc. or Mama is taking them out and eating grass/bugs, etc. The gizzard is functioning, so why shouldn't it have grit so it can function well and process foods or whatever else the chicks ingest.

Check to make sure crops are emptying.
Please post some photos of poop and chicks.

If you've finished the Corid treatment, then give them their normal feed.
Once a day give a little buttermilk with white cooked rice.
Once a day give 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex (to each chick).

Back
Top Bottom