Chocolate and Blue Orpington color genetics

Jul 11, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm attempting to write out the genetics of breeding Chocolate and Blues to make Mauves.

When you breed a Chocolate rooster (choc/choc) over a Splash hen (Bl/Bl), you get 100% (choc/Bl) offspring, which results in Mauve pullets and Blue cockerels. Would these cockerels also be split to Chocolate? I've been using the punnett square, but since Chocolate is a sex-link gene, I was unsure how it affected this.

This is what I have down according to what I've researched about the Blue and Chocolate genes and using the punnett square. Does this sound correct?:

Males are ZZ and females are ZW. Z is a longer chromosome than W, so males have two copies of some genes that females are only able to have one copies of. These are called sex-linked genes.

Roosters need 2 copies of the chocolate gene to have the chocolate coloring, while hens only need 1 copy of the chocolate gene.

Chocolate gene is sex-linked

Chocolate x Chocolate = 100% Chocolate pullets and cockerels
Chocolate x Black = Chocolate pullets and Black split to Chocolate cockerels
Black x Chocolate = Black pullets and Black split to Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Chocolate = Chocolate pullets, Black pullets, Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Black = Chocolate pullets, Black pullets, Black cockerels, Black split Chocolate cockerels

The genotype of a chocolate male is choc/choc, while the genotype of a chocolate female is choc/-
The genotype of a male spilt to chocolate is Choc+/choc, females are unable to be split to chocolate
The genotype of a non-chocolate male is Choc+/Choc+, while the genotype of a non-chocolate female is Choc+/-

Blue (Bbs) Gene is NOT sex linked

Blue x Blue = 25% splash, 25% black, 50% blue
Black x Blue = 50% Black, 50% Blue
Splash x Blue = 50% Splash, 50% Blue
Splash x Black = 100% Blue
Splash x Splash = 100% Splash
Black x Black = 100% Black

The genotype for Splash is Bl/Bl
The genotype for Blue is Bl/bl+
The genotype for Black is bl+/bl+

Mauve genetics

Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Splash x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Blue split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Splash pullets, Splash cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Splash pullets, Blue cockerels, Splash cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, Blue cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue cockerels, Black cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Breeding Mauves genetics

Splash x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Splash pullets, Splash cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Splash pullets, Blue cockerels, Splash cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Chocolate x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Chocolate cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue split Chocolate x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Splash pullets, Chocolate cockerels, Splash cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Chocolate cockerels, Blue cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Splash x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue x Chocolate = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Blue split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, splash+choc pullets blue pullets Splash pullets, Splash cockerels, Splash split to choc cockerels blue cockerels and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, splash+choc pullets Blue pullets, Splash pullets, black pullets Blue cockerels, Splash cockerels, black cockerels Blue split Chocolate cockerels, splash split to choc cockerels and Black split Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Splash = Mauve pullets, Blue pullets, Blue cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Blue = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Black pullets, Blue cockerels, Black cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Breeding Mauves genetics

Splash x Mauve = Mauve pullets, blue pullets Splash pullets, Splash split to choc cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, Splash pullets black pullets, Blue cockerels, Splash cockerels, Blue split Chocolate cockerels, and Black split Chocolate cockerels splash split to choc cockerels
Chocolate x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Chocolate cockerels, and Blue split Chocolate cockerels
Blue split Chocolate x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, splash+choc pullets Splash pullets, blue pullets black pullets Chocolate cockerels, splash+choc cockerels, mauve cockerels and Blue split Chocolate cockerels black split to choc cockerels splash split to choc cockerels
Black split Chocolate x Mauve = Mauve pullets, Chocolate pullets, Blue pullets, black pullets Chocolate cockerels, mauve cockerels Blue cockerels, Blue split Chocolate , and Black split Chocolate cockerels

Wow that was a lot.
I'm gonna need to double check or someone else can but I think I got it.
From your post. Take out the blue. Add in the red.

I don't understand how the cockerels can be mauve if they need two chocolate genes to appear chocolate? Could you also explain to me the corrections? It's a lot to learn lol but I want to make sure I understand everything.

Back
Top Bottom