Chicks foot is dying/vet? (Pictures)

The woman at the farm store got a batch of chicks and one had some sort of flesh colored thing wrapped around its leg. She took it off but didn’t want to sell the chick to someone incase it died. And the store owner was going to cull it, so she asked me if I’d take it. I said sure, but the foot looks like it’s going to fall off.

I’ve been spraying it with antibacterial pain relieving spray and that’s all. It’s eating and drinking and running around with the other baby chicks.

Not sure what else can be done or if there’s any chance of saving that foot? Or helping it die off faster if that’s what’s going to happen?

And if it does lose it’s foot, does anyone have experience with a peg legged hen? Can a rooster mount it? (I have roosters in my flock)
I don't have any advice, but I have a sort of peg-legged hen. She didn't lose her foot, but she can't use it. She hops on it, and gets around just fine. Slowly, but she gets there. She eats and drinks as normal, and no one bothers her. If she gets off balance at all, she gives herself a quick balance and push with her wing. This just happened a couple weeks ago (stray dog attack) but she's already adjusted to it.

Do you know if it will have any problems with a rooster mounting it?
I doubt it. The hen should get her body on the ground during mating. That spreads the rooster's weight into the ground through her body, not just her legs. That's why a hen can handle a rooster that weights more than she does without a problem.

Thank you - I washed her foot with a soft toothbrush gently in betadine solution and soaking it in a warm epsom salt….then she curled up on my lap with a hot water bottle and took a nice long nap.

Just took her back outside to the brooder with the other chicks and sprayed dermaplast antibacterial pain relief spray on it.

I ordered a second heat plate and will set her up a brooder of her own to heal in tomorrow (the other chicks are getting to the age where they peck at each others feet)

Here are updated pics from this afternoon.

Attachments

• IMG_0575.jpeg
    IMG_0575.jpeg
    645.3 KB · Views: 11
Bless you for taking such good care of her. Chickens can adapt amazingly well. Since she's so small she will learn how to get around without it. Just have patience. I have one now I'm working with who couldn't walk at all. She was doing splits. She was already 5 weeks when this happened then to make matters worse my flock tra.pled her. Her feet and toes were curled up into balls. After a long haul and treatment with vitamin she is walking for the first time in awhile. They are really adaptable if needs be. Keep us posted with her recovery. Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom