chickens pecked out other's neck feathers....

yes pretty much correct , but i live in Minnesota and the coop is 4'by10' well a little over. the space under the coop is in there quart yard so its fenced in. I let them free range somedays so there not cooped up all the time... today I was going to let her back with the flock cuz the longer she's away the more the flock detaches her. I let them free range and well they were out I brought her... IMMEDIATELY one of the chickens go after her so I brought her back to "isolation", the friend I had with her in "isolation" I brought back to the flock and I was worried that maybe that she left they would pick on her but she stood her ground and they didn't bother her! So I let them free range well the injured one was in a big dog kennel that was wire so they could see each other. At night they all pilled up next to there door (literally on top of eachother) and fell asleep. I put the injured one in my garage and a mini coop and gave her food and water and in the morning I will let her free range. so she is in isolation right now. I was thinking about keeping her in isolation till her feathers grow back, some have already. Is that a good idea? I would really like to keep all my chickens... where can you but blue kote? what is it? I've never had to use it before. and is the number under the profile how old you are? my perch is pretty high up , but not high enough they couldn't get on it. thank you so much for all your feed back!!!

That’s not an auspicious beginning... You can get Blukote at your farm supply store. If not, Amazon. It probably doesn’t matter what brand you get... Just make sure you get the kind that turns everything blue. It should contain gentian violet.

It will stain everything it gets on, so dress appropriately. Cover her eyes. She’s gonna look black for a month at least, but it will wear off eventually. It’s not a guarantee, especially if she’s super submissive, or if there’s a hen or two that have decided she’s their whipping girl, but it has worked well for me on several occasions. Plus it makes a good wound dressing.

If you feel she’s ready, I guess I would try putting her in the sleeping area after dark. I would be there before sun-up with treats for everyone and scatter them around the coop. Watch for a half-hour or so and see how things are going. If she’s getting beat up and not heading for cover you may have to rehome someone—whether her or the mean-girl(s). You can always get more chickens, and if you have troublemakers it might be best to find them a new flock. They’ll have to start at the bottom. It will be good for them.

I was thinking about keeping her in isolation till her feathers grow back, some have already. Is that a good idea? I would really like to keep all my chickens... where can you but blue kote?
Not sure you should keep her isolated 24/7 until feathers grow back.

Not a fan of blukote, have had bird preen it off themselves reopening wounds.
Pecking is not just 'I see red' issue(or none of them would have combs left),
it's a behavioral problem and should be addressed as such.

Last edited:
what breed is your rooster?!? hes SO pretty!!!! is he nice? would you recommend that as a good breed?

He is a mixed breed rooster, a mutt. His ancestry includes Speckled Sussex, Delaware, Buff Orpington, and Black Australorp. I personally don't believe the breed of a rooster says much about how will behave. You can find good and bad ones of any breed.

how big is your coop?

My main coop is 8' x 12' but I also have two different 4' x 8' shelters I use as a grow-out coop or to sleep some as needed. They are often needed in summer. My main laying/breeding flock is usually 6 to 8 hens and one rooster that I keep over winter but during the height of summer I may have over 50 chickens, most young ones growing to butcher size. My main run is 12' x 32' and I have an area about 45' x 60' inside electric netting. I also have a climate so mine can be outside practically every day of the year, especially in summer when the numbers go up.

and how big should my coop be?

That's a really hard question but a good one. I don't believe in magic numbers for stuff like that, there are too many variables. If you follow the link in my signature you can see some of the things I consider important. Some people on this forum think your chickens are doing really well if they have 4 square feet per chicken (and they often are) but yours have 5 and it's not enough. In my opinion, there are a lot of different variables.

One is the personality of the individual chickens. Some take confinement better than others, regardless of breed. Some of the same breed can be brutes and bullies, some moreso than others. Some are driven to be the dominant chicken, while others are OK in a subordinate role. Each flock is different and has its own flock dynamic.

Room doesn't just mean square feet of coop space. Do they also have access to outside space when they need it? They don't need a lot of room when they are asleep but the longer they are awake in a tight space the more they may need it. The longer they are cramped together the more irritated some become.

Then there is the quality of the space. One way chickens have learned to live in a flock is that when a stronger one threatens a weaker one the weaker runs away. They need to be able to get away. The weaker usually learn pretty quickly to avoid the stronger, especially when they are in "that" mood. This is not a matter of square feet, being able to break line of sight can really help. One of the words trending on this forum right now is "clutter". That means putting things in the coop or run that they can hide under, behind, or above. Your 4x10 coop may not give you enough room to add clutter and still be able to walk in there. One good way to provide quality space is to give them access to outside as well as inside. I integrate younger chickens all the time, some brooder raised, some raised by broody hens with the flock. When I go down to the coop in the morning to open the pop door it's normal to see some of the younger ones hiding under my pretty low nests while some a little older are on the roosts while the adults are on the coop floor. When I open the pop door they scatter and stay in their own groups.

I don't know what the right size or configuration is right for you now or, since you are talking about a rooster, in your future. I don't live in your climate and I don't share your goals. I hate to mention people because I'll leave someone out, but some people who share a climate more like yours and I trust are @Mrs. K @oldhenlikesdogs and @aart I can't remember where @azygous is but she's worth mentioning.

Some people solve this problem by making their coops big enough that they can add clutter (either accidentally or on purpose) and still work in there. Another solution is to block off a section to the run to keep out snow and wind so they always have a place outside. If you do this, remember to make it strong enough for snow load. This might be your best solution. I don't think an outside area would need to be that big, especially if it allows access to under your coop. Probably just big enough that you can get to the pop door to open and close it. A door or gate probably needs to open inward so snow doesn't block it. This would be my solution if I could figure out how to do it.

I don't know how much help this really is. I don't like giving hard and fast numbers because what works for me might not work for you. Our climate, flock make-up, and management techniques are different. For instance if a chicken, male or female, creates behavioral problems I eat them. That problem is solved. A lot of people are more like you and don't want to do that.

To me it looks like a neck molt. It's possible a new incoming feather got broke, and that's what the blood is from. Generally pecking will be large wounds.

I too would add a window. If it's too dark chickens may avoid an area. I would not use a heat lamp.

I might switch to a higher protein ration. 16% protein is the daily minimum. If you are gonna feed a layer with 16% than you shouldn't add extras as it cuts the protein down. I personally feed an All Flock ration with a separate bowl of oyster shells for the calcium needs.

Your chickens would appreciate some hay or straw outside to stand on. Mine will not stand on snow. They will stay in all winter if necessary to avoid the snow.

Back
Top Bottom