Chicken vomiting clear liquid but pooping? What's happening??

Kearaaaa23

Songster
May 18, 2023
My Hyline pullet who is 9 months old and lays an egg daily. I suspected she had sour crop but she only pukes a small amount clear liquid that a weird smell but she poops often and her crop seems to be emptying. I don't really know what to do because she seems perfectly healthy and acts normal. Any advice would help thanks!

Does it feel like there is air inside her crop, like an inflated water balloon with a little bit of water in it? Have you ever noticed her crop feeling like that?

Does it feel like there is air inside her crop, like an inflated water balloon with a little bit of water in it? Have you ever noticed her crop feeling like that?
Nope, I just feel the food which she ate but no watery or airy feeling. It may be a minornsour crop problem so is there anything I can do to help her incase it's something?

So, there are a couple of ther illnesses that will cause a foul odor by the mouth. Does she have any other symptom? Any lesions inside her mouth? Does the smell remind you of sauerkraut?
The liquid does have this sour smell to it. I haven't checked her mouth yet but I thought chickens don't vomit unless it's sour crop or something similar. It'd just be random like she'll be foraging but bends her neck and releases a small amount of clear liquid with a weird sour smell. Other than that she's been perfectly healthy with no concerning symptoms.

My Hyline pullet who is 9 months old and lays an egg daily. I suspected she had sour crop but she only pukes a small amount clear liquid that a weird smell but she poops often and her crop seems to be emptying. I don't really know what to do because she seems perfectly healthy and acts normal. Any advice would help thanks!
If she's been drinking a lot, then sometimes liquid can come back up when they bend over to pick at something, but since you detect a weird smell, then her crop may be sour which would need to be addressed.

Nystatin, Miconazole, Fluconazole, Clotrimazole and Acidified Copper Sulfate are some common treatments for sour crop. I'd follow the instruction in this article to treat her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Photos of her and her poop are always welcome.

If she's been drinking a lot, then sometimes liquid can come back up when they bend over to pick at something, but since you detect a weird smell, then her crop may be sour which would need to be addressed.

Nystatin, Miconazole, Fluconazole, Clotrimazole and Acidified Copper Sulfate are some common treatments for sour crop. I'd follow the instruction in this article to treat her.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Photos of her and her poop are always welcome.
I will try to help her with the treatments.as of right now the entire flock on corid and roundworm treatment incase she is having them so she's been having a lot of water the past few days. The liquid has always been clear with no smell but yesterday there was a stench but still clear. I'll check and feel her crop this morning and see!

Back
Top Bottom