Chicken Heavy Breathing / Wheezing

black5wann

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2023
Orlando, FL
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)

Not sure exact breed, but she’s around 4-5 years old.

2) What is the behavior, exactly.

We were away on vacation for 3 days and when we got back tonight I checked in the coop and Frances was breathing very heavily with wings out and hunched. It seemed more severe than just being hot. We brought her inside and noticed she is standing oddly and breathing heavily. Her crop also feels a bit squishy and hanging lower. She’s had some coordination issues in the past weeks jumping down from roost on her own but chalked it up to old age.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?

These symptoms of the severe breathing just started tonight or within the last two days and our chicken sitter did not notice. Maximum time would be two days.

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? No

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.

Not that I can see.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.

Frances is an older bird and has had egg laying issues for a while now. (Deformed eggs, shell-less, rarely lays). I suspect there could be a reproductive issue but this breathing is the main concern.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.

I believe so but couldn’t confirm since we were away a few days.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc

We have her isolated now so will have more info on this.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?

Separated from flock and brought inside in cooler house.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?

Treating myself

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

Please find video link in reply

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Pine shavings

Her poop this morning had what looked to me like egg white mixed with it. I’d guess she’s trying to pass a malformed egg which has happened in the past, but she usually isn’t this heavy breathing :(

She’s sitting kind of on her side. I’m worried it may just be internal swelling / infection from the repeat reproductive issues now. But wondering if it could be anything else or if there’s something more I can do to help.

She took a small sip of water this morning.

Attachments

• 0DA0030B-74E6-4848-B72A-9E978868EB28.jpeg
    0DA0030B-74E6-4848-B72A-9E978868EB28.jpeg
    305.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    420.3 KB · Views: 1
9EF178F8-57BB-4BA5-9E62-EDC8F04B1EA5.jpeg

There have been a couple of droppings which look like this. Almost like eggy calcium deposits and very loose. Not sure if coincidental but it happened after I picked her up. Not sure if there’s some internal swelling or such. The heavy breathing has gone down which is good. I am guessing this is all related to some reproductive issues. Not sure what to do but keeping her isolated and just giving her scrambled egg and water.

Back
Top Bottom