Chicken foot caught in netting, help

Slorensen

Hatching
May 11, 2024
Found this chicken yesterday she had gotten her foot caught in some netting that was by the roosting bar, when I found her, her one leg and foot was wrapped and caught upwards with the net around her foot.
I got her and cut it off her foot, she is eating and drinking and isolated. But she won’t walk on the foot, and this morning it developed these puss blisters. Any idea on how I can help her? Do I pop them?

Attachments

• IMG_7839.jpeg
    IMG_7839.jpeg
    452.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7841.jpeg
    IMG_7841.jpeg
    567 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7840.jpeg
    IMG_7840.jpeg
    738.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7838.jpeg
    IMG_7838.jpeg
    578.9 KB · Views: 3
Never pop a blister, it just allows germs to get in. You can't really keep a bandage on a chicken foot. If she is favoring that leg, then she is doing what she should be doing. I wouldn't isolate her as long as nobody is bullying her.

Chicken wounds need cleaning and treating just as human wounds do or infection will set in. Soak the feet well in Epsom salts and a wound disinfectant. Then spray Vetericyn on the wounds twice a day.

It would also be a good idea to treat for shock, as well. One teaspoon of sugar in one cup of water with a inch of salt and baking soda added. Have her drink it for the next day or two.

Does it look like bumblefoot? How can I help treat it to help her? I just want her to be able to get food and water easier then if she was in the run, I have a couple chickens with her to keep her company.

Bumblefoot is simply a catchy name for foot wounds that have become infected. It doesn't matter what you call the wounds. Treat them as I suggested and also treat for shock as it's a complication most people ignore but is a life threat as well as the wounds are.

Back
Top Bottom