Chicken Breed Focus - Iowa Blue

I've kind of lost count of how many generations, but I've improved egg quality and hardiness by letting them grow up as free range as possible. I confine them for the necessary breeding pens, but I rotate them out back into the flock. I try as much as possible to follow the spiral breeding program of crossing cockerels back to older hens and using a cock of the previous generation over the pullets, but more often than not I am faced with using the male with the least faults over the best females. in 2013 I introduced some cockerels of the Sandhill line to improve size and type. So far, I am pleased with the progress the breed is making and am always thrilled to see new breeders fall in love with them.

Youngsters from 2014

Smokey parents. Note the CLEAN breast on this hen.

My sweety waiting for treats.

Young silver cockerel and old gold cock.

El Dorado - current Smokey sire

A little light to show, and plenty of faults, but he's pure for silver, no autosomal red, nice slate legs, small comb and wattles, shorter stockier build. I hope the hens fix the horrible tail angle, but keep the nice spread and feather width.

One interesting feather pattern.

December and January hatched pullets

February pullet

Still seeing some red, but these girls are nice and big with slate legs, and starting to lay at 5 1/2 months.

Looks like some hens have bigger combs than others. My chicks are about 5 weeks old and I'm trying to figure out what I have of the three. Hoping for just one rooster and two hens.

Looks like some hens have bigger combs than others. My chicks are about 5 weeks old and I'm trying to figure out what I have of the three. Hoping for just one rooster and two hens.
They do. When I can I will select for small straight combs, but for now other traits usually come first in my breeding pen. This spring I should have enough nice pullets to choose from so I can weed out the big wavy combs left in the breed from the hatchery use of black Leghorns a dozen generations back.

My Smokey Iowa Blues are about 8 weeks old and are the quietest birds I've ever owned. They were able to enjoy the dirt Thursday for the first time and took to scratching and finding bugs/worms. They are eating big worms in one big swallow! Right down the gullet! The adults don't seem to care for the worms; they don't know what to do with them but these little buggers chow down on them! Second day on the ground today and they're digging it! :)

Last edited:
My Smokey Iowa Blues are about 8 weeks old and are the quietest birds I've ever owned. They were able to enjoy the dirt Thursday for the first time and took to scratching and finding bugs/worms. They are eating big worms in one big swallow! Right down the gullet! The adults don't seem to care for the worms; they don't know what to do with them but these little buggers chow down on them! Second day on the ground today and they're digging it! :)
I always hatch Iowa Blues with turkeys. The chicks never have to be taught anything and they teach the poults. Mine aren't always quiet though, depends on the hatch.
hu.gif
Each hatch seems to have its' own "personality". Some of them are very quiet, but others are rowdy.

I think at least 2 of the 3 Smokey Iowa Blues I have are roosters. The third one may be too but I'm still hoping at least one is a hen. I wanted hens and one rooster. So that said, I need to give away at least one at this point that I know to be a rooster. He's 3 months old (hatched 10/21/15). Very nice and quiet breed. Please help me re-home. FREE.

Did you mean to mean to post picts? If not, please do and we could help sex them for you.

I'm thinking the third one is a rooster now. No crowing but getting the big tail. The rooster that is crowing has the big wattles and comb and not much of a tail. oy vey! I'm still hoping she's a girl but I'm beginning to doubt. Sigh. I did find a good home for the other one but may be looking to rehome this third one if it turns out to be a male.

YEP. All three were males. Sigh. Anyone want a free Smokey Iowa blue? 4 months old.

Last edited:
Btt.

What's the status on Iowa Blues, still progressing? Anybody gonna have hatching eggs this year?

Hi Al,

We will have chicks and eggs. The eggs we ship from Michigan usually have a poor hatch rate though. We have two breeding pens of Iowa's going right now. We breed to the charcoal color and have silvers, birchens, and smokeys. I am the VP of the Iowa Blue Chicken Club.

Candy Pilarski

Back
Top Bottom