Chick Adoption with broody help

SilverSunrise

Hatching
May 20, 2023
I bought 4 day old chicks for my broody bantam barred rock to raise. She’s been broody for about a week and has been consistently broody in the past. I gave the chicks to the mom today about noon so I could supervise. She’s letting them sit under her but she screeches and pecks at them if she sees them out, especially in front of her. She’s talking to them just a little bit and seems to like the peeping. I’m worried about her hurting them. Should I take them away and try again tonight? Or is she probably not going to accept them? I really would rather not brood them myself but I will if I have to.

I bought 4 day old chicks for my broody bantam barred rock to raise. She’s been broody for about a week and has been consistently broody in the past. I gave the chicks to the mom today about noon so I could supervise. She’s letting them sit under her but she screeches and pecks at them if she sees them out, especially in front of her. She’s talking to them just a little bit and seems to like the peeping. I’m worried about her hurting them. Should I take them away and try again tonight? Or is she probably not going to accept them? I really would rather not brood them myself but I will if I have to.
Sounds like she's telling them to stay under her. They're having to learn her voice as they didn't get that in the shell.

Sounds like she's telling them to stay under her. They're having to learn her voice as they didn't get that in the shell.
She picked one up and shook it just now when it ran in front of her. It’s ok fortunately but I took them out. Should I put them back now?

It can take time. The babies have to learn who mama is and learn mama's voice. Hovering and "rescuing" the chicks can hinder it, but it can also save them. Depends upon mama and the rest of the flock (if she's with them). Are you prepared to raise the babies yourself?

It can take time. The babies have to learn who mama is and learn mama's voice. Hovering and "rescuing" the chicks can hinder it, but it can also save them. Depends upon mama and the rest of the flock (if she's with them). Are you prepared to raise the babies yourself?
Yes. I’ve done it before and got set up to do so in case it went wrong but I would prefer not to need to.

The issue you are seeing is that when a broody first hatches chicks, the chicks spend their first 24 hours underneath her soft feathers while they recover from the exertion of hatching out of the egg. During this time, mom also teaches her chicks to stay near her for protection. A broody's instincts are to make sure chicks follow this "rule", even if the chicks are several days old. Your broody is giving every indication that she accepts the chicks. In the future, know that it is Always best to give adopted chicks to a broody after sunset, and allow them to sleep together their first night. If you still have the chicks separated, I would wait until a bit after the sun sets tonight, then give them back to her in the darkness. By the morning, they should be acting like a content and happy family.

Back
Top Bottom