Change my mind

AGDependentFarm

Chirping
Dec 9, 2022
Sylvan Springs, AL
My Coop
My Coop
So reading another post I saw they were running an extremely high protein level for life of the birds. I guess one thing is to determine how long is life. These birds can be culled between 8 and 10 weeks with no growth to be expected later.

I am fairly new to quail, less than 6 months but raised many chickens in my past so not new to birds.
I understand the high proteins up to 8 weeks for growth but after I switched to layer feed 17% protein I think. What benefit is there for feeding the higher cost higher protein feed to a mature bird?
Its not hatch rate as my incubator is full of live peeps...

I keep mine on the high protein food until 11 or 12 weeks because that's when they actually reach physical maturity. The ones that I butcher get it for their whole lives since I usually butcher at about 10 weeks.

They might gain a bit of weight between 10 and 12 weeks, but it's not significant. Getting the high protein for up to 12 weeks for my breeders makes sure that they are healthier and produce better chicks.

I keep mine on the high protein food until 11 or 12 weeks because that's when they actually reach physical maturity. The ones that I butcher get it for their whole lives since I usually butcher at about 10 weeks.

They might gain a bit of weight between 10 and 12 weeks, but it's not significant. Getting the high protein for up to 12 weeks for my breeders makes sure that they are healthier and produce better chicks.
I get that. 8-10 or 10-12. whatever works is fine. but after 12 weeks. If you are using them for eggs do you continue the high protein diet?

Mine get too fat on high protein feed once they're past the growing phase. I also switch to layer feed after about 8-10 weeks, or when the bag runs out.
lol Bag running out isn't my problem. The Quail go through about 75lbs a week and the Chickens about 25lbs. So I get 2 bags per week.... Why do I do this again???

I get that. 8-10 or 10-12. whatever works is fine. but after 12 weeks. If you are using them for eggs do you continue the high protein diet?
No. They actually shouldn't have high protein feed at that point. It can cause fatty liver disease. 18-20% is plenty at that point.

So reading another post I saw they were running an extremely high protein level for life of the birds. I guess one thing is to determine how long is life. These birds can be culled between 8 and 10 weeks with no growth to be expected later.

I am fairly new to quail, less than 6 months but raised many chickens in my past so not new to birds.
I understand the high proteins up to 8 weeks for growth but after I switched to layer feed 17% protein I think. What benefit is there for feeding the higher cost higher protein feed to a mature bird?
Its not hatch rate as my incubator is full of live peeps...
Hello, I think I've seen you are raising jumbo coturnix. They are still growing out to 10 to 12 weeks, so I still feed 28% out to at least the 10 weeks. I don't use layer feed anymore for any different types of birds I raise poultry/game birds/quail/turkeys/ducks. I always offer oyster shell/eggshells on the side 24/7. Layer feed usually has just the bare minimum of protein %, I like to feed my birds in the upper protein %. Have always had less health issues better egg production and better hatch rates with less issues with hatchlings since doing so. I raise/breed/ hatch and sell a lot of birds/hatchlings and like to give customers best bird I can. And I have seen better results in feeding upper protein %, but there are limits to how high without causing health issues most bird types have different acceptable % levels. Health/stress/molting/illness is all benefitted by upper protein% and not the bare minimums that most layer feeds have. Yes, you can, and a lot of folks do feed layer feed not saying it's a bad thing. But I have had and seen better results all around in my birds since feeding this way. Don't get me wrong some benefits can be small but I have always been one that if I raise something its done to the best of my ability and can in the long run end up being cheaper without loss of my time treating illness, loss of birds/meds/ loss of customers ext. Most info that I researched for jumbo quail recommend protein% of starter between 25%-32% and for mature or layers between 17%-23%. Hope this helps. How's that for a sell to CHANGE YOUR MIND :lau

Last edited:
There are many ways to 'skin a quail', if everyone did the same thing, you could read about how to take care of them in 15 minutes.

If you're just raising them to butcher, then feeding high protein for the 'life' of the bird makes sense. (28 to 30% protein)

If you're just raising them for eggs, then switching to a lower protein feed or a layer feed is the norm. ( 16 to 20% protein)

If you're raising the to be breeding stock, then a 'middle of the road' feed would be best ( 24% protein)

Depending on what you want in a 'results', will define your methods and rearing protocols.
If you have to have you're mind changed by someone else, then maybe you're not 'cut out' for it....take what you think is best for you from other's methods and apply them to you're own program.

Back
Top Bottom