Care questions

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
I’m getting my first pigeons/doves this year(I have experience with exotics) I’m looking for cheap but reliable and safe brands for their supplies/food? And any other info I need to know. I’m currently researching them through my ornithology books.
Not positive on breed yet, either rescues(common rock) or retired racers. They will be ONLY companions in my home. I plan to harness train them as well so they can go to work/events with me.
I do know I will be getting males though, I tend to get along best with male birds.

I can afford emergencies and such, just looking for cheap because I’m saving for a house.

There is a protein and fat content % that is optimal for pigeons, I forget what it is. I'm lucky enough to have a feed company close by that makes a dedicated pigeon blend (it's millet, buckwheat, flint corn, vetch peas and maple peas). You could prepare a mix like this on your own, but you'll have to buy the ingredients in bulk. I'd imagine you could feed any one of these and they'd be fine, but it's not optimal. I know one guy who feeds them only sunflower seeds, but he only uses his pigeons for dog training and doesn't care too much about optimal nutrition.

Some feed chicken pellets, but make sure they are non medicated. I think that is also not optimal but they can survive on it. Street pigeons seem to survive on much less.

I do know I will be getting males though, I tend to get along best with male birds.
Keep in mind males can sometimes get quite ornery without a mate. I've hand raised and also handled my young birds a lot, enough to the point where they're rather friendly, except a lot of my males, once they get to a mature age (past pigeon puberty) they go through a phase where they get pretty mean, particularly when they're in and around the nest box or perch they've claimed (which is expected).

Keep in mind males can sometimes get quite ornery without a mate. I've hand raised and also handled my young birds a lot, enough to the point where they're rather friendly, except a lot of my males, once they get to a mature age (past pigeon puberty) they go through a phase where they get pretty mean, particularly when they're in and around the nest box or perch they've claimed (which is expected).
Haha yeah! I still have scars from my old 6 year old male conure. I don’t mind it, I understand they’re hormonal!

There is a protein and fat content % that is optimal for pigeons, I forget what it is. I'm lucky enough to have a feed company close by that makes a dedicated pigeon blend (it's millet, buckwheat, flint corn, vetch peas and maple peas). You could prepare a mix like this on your own, but you'll have to buy the ingredients in bulk. I'd imagine you could feed any one of these and they'd be fine, but it's not optimal. I know one guy who feeds them only sunflower seeds, but he only uses his pigeons for dog training and doesn't care too much about optimal nutrition.

Some feed chicken pellets, but make sure they are non medicated. I think that is also not optimal but they can survive on it. Street pigeons seem to survive on much less.
With the amount of racers here I’d imagine they sell some sort of pigeon specific feed… if not I’ll ask the pigeon owner I know for his recipe. Thank you!

With the amount of racers here I’d imagine they sell some sort of pigeon specific feed… if not I’ll ask the pigeon owner I know for his recipe. Thank you!
I don’t have feed stores around here that carry pigeon feed, unfortunately. There are a number of very good brands such as Brown’s and Versele-Laga that you can buy on Chewy. Chewy is definitely more expensive than the feed store but the bags almost always qualify for their free shipping and you get discounts for setting recurring orders. I don’t think the amount of time matters as long as the order is recurring. So I have a recurring order with Chewy for two bags (2 bags trips the $ limit for free shipping) and then I get further discounts on having the recurring order. Overall, I end up paying less than I was when I was driving way out to a feed store that did carry pigeon feed. Its nice to not have to take trips to the feed store and have the bags waiting for me exactly when I run low.

Back
Top Bottom