Candling a scrambled egg?

BeardedChick

Songster
11 Years
Jun 13, 2008
The Witness Protection Program
What do they look like when they are candled??

Will eggs that got too cold during shipping break down and scramble?

I got to candle today, and one egg is clearly good, but the rest were questionable. The shells are dark, so it's kinda hard to tell anyway.

BC-I am not really sure and will watch this post with interest to find out.

Those of ours that I am sure were manhandled by the PO seemed to be "milky" when I poured them out after opening them. Some of them also seemed to have wierd air cells.

I am curious to read what defines "busted" air cells and "scrambled" eggs!

PnP

pop.gif
caf.gif

I had a few quail eggs that were totally scrambled during shipping. I could not even see a difference where the yolk and white of the egg would be, it was all one color inside. Plus the air cell would move to the top of the egg, no matter which way the egg was positioned. I have a goose egg now that looks scrambled, though I'm not sure. The yolk of this one has been really dark since I set it, so much so that I thought it was developing. But the only eggs that I have gotten that were surely scrambled were quail.

The goose egg also has air bubbles where they shouldn't be.

Last edited:
Thanks all -

Shelley, I have some that look as you describe - you can't see the yolk versus the white. It looks homogenous throughout the egg. I will try tilting them and seeing where the air cell goes. That's a good clue!

Yes, PnP, they look milky when poured out... Like me trying to make up a batch of scrambled eggs.
smile.png

My DH is going to VA for Christmas, we are going to do some experiments with USPS Priority Mail. One will be shipping a thermometer to him with a 'MIN' reading, so we can see just how cold a package gets in transit. I am also interested to try and mail him a pressurized air pack and see if that works. I wondered if shipping eggs inside a pressurized pack would help with them surviving shipping.

If you think of anything else to try, PLMK. He is heading back on Wed. and will be there for 5 days. I wish I had some of those G-shock stickers that will tell you the shock rating a package endures - I'd be interested to know what my package goes through getting back there.

BWAHAHAHA! Danger: Bored pseudo-pscientist at play.

Just remember that any egg will look scrambled after it has been incubated for a while (once it's opened). You have to be very careful when you open them, incubation makes the yolk very fragile. So they could quite possibly not be scrambled, but get scrambled when you open them.

Let us know how your experiment goes! What is something that would show things like jostling or jolts the package would take? I had eggs that arrived today, that the sender had sent some homemade fudge and a candy cane with. You know how fragile candy canes are right? This one was not even chipped, plus it was not packed so it couldn't move (inside the bowl of fudge). There were 3 eggs in the same box that were broken.
hmm.png
If they didn't break the candy cane, how did they break the eggs?

I like your idea of testing with something like fruit.

There are some very cool stickers called ShockWatch stickers that will show actual G-Force a package is subject to... But they are so expensive. I am going to watch Ebay and hope some come up that have a low G-force. If so, I'll buy some and test them. It would be so interesting to know how much force our poor little eggs have to endure...

I wonder what has a known G-force rating???? Something for me to research...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom