Can pressure treated wood be used for coop??

Gsolo

Hatching
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Good Morning, I am new to this site as a poster but have been browsing for a while. Thanks for all the good info. My dad has recently retired and hasn't adjusted to all his free time. After a few months of driving my mom crazy, we all decided that he needed a project to keep him busy. We decided we needed a chicken coop. Just a simple chicken coop. Well , nothing is simple with my father and this thing turned much bigger than expected. Long story short. Turns out not knowing any better, he used a combination of good stock piled wood and some of it is pressure treated. now all this wood is older but has been stored dry. The floor and roof is pressure treated plywood, various studs and framing are pressure treated. really, really nice extremely well built coop, built like a brick outhouse with an enormous amount of hrs. It came time for finishing touchs and he ran into a guy who said .WHAT? you can't use pressure treated for a coop! The chickens will peck the wood and the eggs will have toxins. My dad is devastated. Is this true? can we do anything to salvage this? Can we line the inside with regular plywood, sort of putting in interior walls and floor. Or shuold we just scrap it and start over?Any input will be great Thanks

Yes you can use the pressure treated lumber it isnt made out of arsnic anymore hasnt been for awhile now so your good. Some people shouldnt be speaking when they dont know anything about lumber or far as they goes speaking about things they dont know nothing about.

You'll probably get as many different answers on this as you can imagine. I think the worst that will happen here is that his coop will just last a really long time.
smile.png
He should probably be extra diligent about making sure there are no rough edges on the pt wood that look tempting for them to pick at, but if your dad is the kind of builder I am imagining, I'll bet there aren't.

All of our coops and runs are made from pressure treated wood (don't ask how many we have, it's never enough), it is so damp here that non-treated wood is bound to rot and we would rather build a coop/run that looks nice and will last (and stand up to a hurricane, earthquake, etc....)
ya.gif

Quote:
Same here,.. without the pressure treated wood our coop wouldn't last any time at all,.. it's too wet here.
Everyone I know here uses treated wood,.. some paint and seal it,.. as runggirl suggested,.. and some don't. But they paint more for looks than anything.
I've never heard of problems from it and I don't remember any chickens eating the wood.

Welcome to BYC,.. now put some pictures of your Dad's coop and girls up for us to see and enjoy your chickens,..
frow.gif

Last edited:
Pressure treated totally fine, you should paint the inside anyway to make it easier to clean. Paint walls and floor or lay linoleum on the floor for super easy to clean. So you can tell your dad no problems with the P/ T wood.
thumbsup.gif

Oh yeah welcome to BYC

Last edited:
This is really good news... I need to make a call to my dad, I'm sure this will make him feel a lot better . Thanks for all the input. any other ideas will or support will be appreciated Thanks to all

Back
Top Bottom