"Can chickens hatch quail eggs" Yes they can!!!!!!!

My Mille Fleur Bantams have hatched Peafowl eggs before.. 1 egg per hen
big_smile.png

My silkies will be going broody soon as their first batch of chicks are almost independant of them now.

How many Coturnix eggs per hen?

Will the chick bond and follow her like chicken chicks do?

And are silkie hens too big? Would a smaller bantam breed be better?

My silkies will be going broody soon as their first batch of chicks are almost independant of them now.

How many Coturnix eggs per hen?

Will the chick bond and follow her like chicken chicks do?

And are silkie hens too big? Would a smaller bantam breed be better?

Well I only put 3 eggs under my black sumatra hen,she is not so big, A friend of mine has hatched quail eggs under much bigger chickens and it worked good,and it was her first time ever hatching anything so only 1 hatched,and yes she loves it soo much it and loves her too, next time I want to put more Quail egg's under her, Come see my day to day videos iv made on you tube about how mommy chicken and her baby Quail are doing If you want to know more about them
jumpy.gif
here is the link to get to my videos just press play all and in joy
pop.gif
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL8288CB6DC6D2B719&feature=plcp

Thank you for this link! My quails have about 25 eggs right now. One of them was hatching them then she just stop. I'm going to try to put the quail eggs to one of my hens.

I forgot to tell you,but for next time if you try,There is a method to my madness lol So if you do start having a chicken hatch quail eggs,just remember chickens go broody for 20-21 day's and quail eggs only take 17-18 days to hatch, 15-16 if they are button's. For my quail egg's I wait to put them under Suma when she has gone broody for 3 days!!! ^o^ ^o^ So that's how you do it, Just Wait till your chicken's gone broody,and Wait the appropriate day's to put the quail eggs under her ^o^ good luck ^o^

Unfortunately guys the hen broke all of the eggs. I had more then 50 eggs and she broke all of them. I'm just going to build an incubator.

Unfortunately guys the hen broke all of the eggs.  I had more then 50 eggs and she broke all of them.  I'm just going to build an incubator.

Sorry your eggs were lost. More often than not this is the out come when using a chicken to hatch quail eggs.. Everyone has to try it atleast once! A few hens will be successful, but most will end up breaking the eggs... Good luck with your incubator... Bill

One of the reasons i have cochin bantams is because of theyre reputation for going broody and hatching whatever eggs get slipped under them.I plan on quail soon.Im going to test them with fake eggs first to see wich ones have the instinct for this.This is also supposed to teach the birds not to peck the eggs because knothing happens.Ive read a few cases of cochin hatching and raising quail,even duck eggs.I think A@M quail would be easier than raising meat birds,i guess ill find out.

One of the reasons i have cochin bantams is because of theyre reputation for going broody and hatching whatever eggs get slipped under them.I plan on quail soon.Im going to test them with fake eggs first to see wich ones have the instinct for this.This is also supposed to teach the birds not to peck the eggs because knothing happens.Ive read a few cases of cochin hatching and raising quail,even duck eggs.I think A@M quail would be easier than raising meat birds,i guess ill find out.

"Very cool I hope everything work's for you" ^o^ oh and the only reason I bought the fake egg's is to keep my hen in the same spot I was tired of hunting down her egg's,before I got them she would lay just everywhere, even next door lol so yeah it work for keeping her in the same nest and come to find out made her go broody Lol ^o^ Just remember chickens go broody for 20-21 day's and quail eggs only take 17-18 days to hatch, 15-16 if they are button's. For my quail egg's I wait to put them under my hen when she has gone broody for 3 days!!! ^o^ So t Just Wait till your chicken's gone broody,and Wait the appropriate day's to put the quail eggs under her ^o^ good luck ^o^ My hen is the best mommy to all her quail baby's she is raising 10 atm ^o^

Back
Top Bottom