Can a broody hen kill herself by being broody?

AF3127C1-850B-4477-BBF0-41C8D8B281B8.jpeg
3617F596-DD58-4F70-B5F2-9F52A08313DA.jpeg
363B058B-03DE-46E9-A53F-C0F47E5C63F4.jpeg
My hen just died in the nest. It was her second day being broodie. She was healthy and young and this wasn’t her first time. I just can’t understand what happened!
The pics are a day of difference. She lost all the red in her comb and earlobes, they turned gray from one day to other.

I agree. There is likely an underlying cause, such as worms or mites. Being broody is hard on a hen but a vast majority do fine.

When a broody dies, I always suspect roost mites. These mites stay in cracks and crannies during the day and attack the hen at night. I once heard a University of Arkansas Ag Professor say that roost mites kill more broody hens than anything else.
I lost 2 broody hens about a week apart. The first hens head was beat up but otherwise intact, the second I found in the bottom of the coop looking like she had been trampled.
I have had trouble with snakes in the past would the attack a broody hen?

I lost 2 broody hens about a week apart. The first hens head was beat up but otherwise intact, the second I found in the bottom of the coop looking like she had been trampled.
I have had trouble with snakes in the past would the attack a broody hen?

Lock them in an elevated wire bottomed crate so air can get under them. Provide food, water, and nothing else. After 72 hours let her out and see if she goes back to the nest or is broken from being broody. If she goes back to her nest do it again. For the majority 72 hours is enough.

Back
Top Bottom