Can’t figure out what’s wrong with my Speckled Sussex

CLW83

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2020
I would love some advice for my sweet Jolene. She has seemed perfectly well, then on July 4th she didn’t go up in the coop. She was squawking at what sounded like a scared cry from all of the fireworks. I got her and put her in but she didn’t want to come out the next morning. I separated her for a few days and have tried various thing (treat for cocci, electrolytes and other pick me up supplements, poultry cell etc plus treatment for external parasites though I don’t see any) She seemed to get better and would try to dodge me picking her up so she seemed well and I put her back out. She does eat and drink and forage when I throw scratch out. She goes back up and out of the coop daily but she sleeps on the opposite side alone now and not roosting with the others. Her poor little wings looks droopy and she is just low on energy. Her crop seems ok and so do her droppings. I have thought about heat, she does love to stand in front of the fan. Any other thoughts?

*she didn’t go in the coop tonight she’s back underneath 🙁

Attachments

• 598C9A6F-AF53-47F5-B6A8-483AB2258167.jpeg
    598C9A6F-AF53-47F5-B6A8-483AB2258167.jpeg
    860.3 KB · Views: 20
  • 3489DE3B-DE9B-43C1-A5D8-E540D440786E.jpeg
    3489DE3B-DE9B-43C1-A5D8-E540D440786E.jpeg
    626.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 964C1B47-C64E-413C-9C29-9B08845E87D1.jpeg
    964C1B47-C64E-413C-9C29-9B08845E87D1.jpeg
    401.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 45B932F3-4BD1-41F8-9354-766530DED00B.jpeg
    45B932F3-4BD1-41F8-9354-766530DED00B.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 16
I am not sure how to help you, as I have not experienced anything like this. However, I wish you luck with your Speckled Sussex (I have one too!) and hope someone else will be able to offer you advice.

I would love some advice for my sweet Jolene. She has seemed perfectly well, then on July 4th she didn’t go up in the coop. She was squawking at what sounded like a scared cry from all of the fireworks. I got her and put her in but she didn’t want to come out the next morning. I separated her for a few days and have tried various thing (treat for cocci, electrolytes and other pick me up supplements, poultry cell etc plus treatment for external parasites though I don’t see any) She seemed to get better and would try to dodge me picking her up so she seemed well and I put her back out. She does eat and drink and forage when I throw scratch out. She goes back up and out of the coop daily but she sleeps on the opposite side alone now and not roosting with the others. Her poor little wings looks droopy and she is just low on energy. Her crop seems ok and so do her droppings. I have thought about heat, she does love to stand in front of the fan. Any other thoughts?

Poor thing!
Can you get some photos of her droppings?
What dosage of Corid did you give? Did you give vitamins/electrolytes, etc. while giving the Corid?

Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
What do you feed?
How old is she?

Hi. I am so sorry that your beautiful baby is down. I live in MS where we are having extreme heat warnings. Our high temps before noon on Friday are going to be pushing 95 degrees in some places and before 3:00 they will be at 100+ and that is not the real feel even coming into play yet. I have had my 9 week old chicks out for a while in the brooder for about two weeks earlier on and had to put them back inside in my basement about two weeks ago due to the heat. I’m thinking if you live where it’s hot it could be that. You don’t have your area listed in your profile and that really is a help so that we as members know how to help you in times like this. How old is your baby? Is she laying yet? Has she molted before? I sure hope she perks up. Maybe she ate something funny that disagreed with her in the heat. Could she have been your top bird in the pecking order and then been knocked off the top of the heap?just guessing. Chickens are funny animals.

Hi. I am so sorry that your beautiful baby is down. I live in MS where we are having extreme heat warnings. Our high temps before noon on Friday are going to be pushing 95 degrees in some places and before 3:00 they will be at 100+ and that is not the real feel even coming into play yet. I have had my 9 week old chicks out for a while in the brooder for about two weeks earlier on and had to put them back inside in my basement about two weeks ago due to the heat. I’m thinking if you live where it’s hot it could be that. You don’t have your area listed in your profile and that really is a help so that we as members know how to help you in times like this. How old is your baby? Is she laying yet? Has she molted before? I sure hope she perks up. Maybe she ate something funny that disagreed with her in the heat. Could she have been your top bird in the pecking order and then been knocked off the top of the heap?just guessing. Chickens are funny animals.
Thanks so much for the reply. I am in South Texas and to say it has been hot would be an understatement. It’s felt like 115 around here and our humidity is crazy high. She has never been at the top of the pecking order. Actually on the lower end And she seems to be fine back with her usual ladies around. I haven’t noticed much
Molting specially from her but plenty of feathers lingering around the coop. I actually have noticed more change /molting in my other Sussex I see a lot more white coming out. Not her though.

Poor thing!
Can you get some photos of her droppings?
What dosage of Corid did you give? Did you give vitamins/electrolytes, etc. while giving the Corid?

Was she vaccinated for Marek's?
What do you feed?
How old is she?
Hi thanks for the reply. I can get photos tomorrow. This morning her droppings seems normal color/texture with the little white caps. She is around 24 weeks and I believe she was almost 4 months when I got her. I do not believe she was vaccinated but I’m not positive. I was doing the dosage in her water then tried the corid drench but reading it again I may have not done enough. Maybe I should try that more. I have been adding electrolytes and/poultry cell. I have a mixed flock and feel the flock raiser crumbles oyster shell separate. She has not started laying yet.

Hi thanks for the reply. I can get photos tomorrow. This morning her droppings seems normal color/texture with the little white caps. She is around 24 weeks and I believe she was almost 4 months when I got her. I do not believe she was vaccinated but I’m not positive. I was doing the dosage in her water then tried the corid drench but reading it again I may have not done enough. Maybe I should try that more. I have been adding electrolytes and/poultry cell. I have a mixed flock and feel the flock raiser crumbles oyster shell separate. She has not started laying yet.
Do y’all think maybe she is egg bound? Or maybe it is just her getting ready to lay for the first time? Could she possibly becoming broody? I know that sounds weird but since you have a rooster and she is old enough...???

Do y’all think maybe she is egg bound? Or maybe it is just her getting ready to lay for the first time? Could she possibly becoming broody? I know that sounds weird but since you have a rooster and she is old enough...???
We don’t have a rooster but how do I check for egg bound? She has not started laying yet (neither has my other SS that I got at the same time)

Back
Top Bottom