Calcium deposit on egg

Feb 9, 2024
Hi, please help if you can, I read in the article about abnormal eggs, that calcium deposits on eggs is likely to be caused by too much calcium in diet. Only 2 of my 3 hens are laying, one ( ginger the warren) lays lovely normal eggs, the other (rocky the black rock has recently started laying eggs with what appears to be grit bound into the shell.
They have the same feed, have free choice oyster shells and grit. They also have a sand box to play in, could rocky be eating the sand? Should I worry, as it can't be a pleasant experience for her to have a rough egg passing out.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I have a hen that lays brown eggs with white speckles all over the outside, which, according to the article, is caused by excess calcium. However, she eats all flock feed with free-choice calcium on the side. It’s been over a year and she still lays the same speckled eggs and is super healthy. A lot of times a new layer can have some imperfect eggs before everything regulates itself.

I wouldn’t worry too much. I have a hen that lays brown eggs with white speckles all over the outside, which, according to the article, is caused by excess calcium. However, she eats all flock feed with free-choice calcium on the side. It’s been over a year and she still lays the same speckled eggs and is super healthy. A lot of times a new layer can have some imperfect eggs before everything regulates itself.
Many thanks Country Birds

I'll include a link to the Egg Quality Guide. This was written mostly with commercial operations in mind, that explains some of their comments, but we can use it to figure out what might be going on. You can probably find a photo that resembles your egg.

Egg Quality Guide - The Poultry Site | The Poultry Site

Many if not most of us have hens that lay eggs like that to some degree. There is nothing wrong with the eggs. You can eat them and you should be able to hatch them. Consumers would be worried because they look different, that's the only reason they are considered "flawed".

You'll see in the "causes" there is no mention of excess calcium. While it could be a sign of something else it is almost certainly caused by a defect in the shell gland. As long as she is acting normally she is not sick. The way they lay the egg don't worry too much about it hurting her either. This is just something that you see in our eggs that you don't see in store eggs.

The commercial operations don't waste those eggs either. They sell them to places that open the eggs before they use them like bakeries or pet food manufacturers.

It is good to notice things and ask if you don't understand or are worried but this is one that is not on my radar as a worry.

INTERESTING-FARMER-CONNIE.gif

I'll include a link to the Egg Quality Guide. This was written mostly with commercial operations in mind, that explains some of their comments, but we can use it to figure out what might be going on. You can probably find a photo that resembles your egg.

Egg Quality Guide - The Poultry Site | The Poultry Site

Many if not most of us have hens that lay eggs like that to some degree. There is nothing wrong with the eggs. You can eat them and you should be able to hatch them. Consumers would be worried because they look different, that's the only reason they are considered "flawed".

You'll see in the "causes" there is no mention of excess calcium. While it could be a sign of something else it is almost certainly caused by a defect in the shell gland. As long as she is acting normally she is not sick. The way they lay the egg don't worry too much about it hurting her either. This is just something that you see in our eggs that you don't see in store eggs.

The commercial operations don't waste those eggs either. They sell them to places that open the eggs before they use them like bakeries or pet food manufacturers.

It is good to notice things and ask if you don't understand or are worried but this is one that is not on my radar as a worry.
Did you see this?
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/egg-quality-handbook/21/pimples
2024_04_21_20_48_46_Pimples_Optimum_Egg_Quality_A_Practical_Approach_The_Poultry_Site_The_Pou.png

Back
Top Bottom