Buff Orpington mix up

Tstraub

Crowing
Apr 6, 2023
Bluffton, Indiana
2 weeks ago I bought what i thought were 2 Buff Orpington and one Cinnamon Queen. One of the Orpingtons is feathering out a darker than expected color. Her legs are also very orange not pink/white like an Orpington. She is being taken care of by a very protective Wyandotte so it’s hard to get a close up picture. Any guess what I actually got. Clean orange legs and single comb
IMG_4733.jpeg
IMG_4735.jpeg
IMG_4739.jpeg
IMG_4740.jpeg

It's hard to tell what she is at this age, but she's definitely not a Buff Orp. Where did you get her? If no one else knows what she is now, you can post again in a few weeks when she's got more adult feathers.

It's hard to tell what she is at this age, but she's definitely not a Buff Orp. Where did you get her? If no one else knows what she is now, you can post again in a few weeks when she's got more adult feathers.
I got her from Family Farm and Home. They use Hoover Hatchery. As best I can remember chicks available the day I purchased were Buff Orpington, cinnamon queen, Rhode Island Red, gold lace Wyandotte, and Cornish Cross. I don’t think she looks like any of those breeds.

I’m not heart broken that it’s not an Orpington. I was just trying to get some buddies for my one chick that hatched out in my incubator. I’ll figure it out eventually I guess.

I got her from Family Farm and Home. They use Hoover Hatchery. As best I can remember chicks available the day I purchased were Buff Orpington, cinnamon queen, Rhode Island Red, gold lace Wyandotte, and Cornish Cross. I don’t think she looks like any of those breeds.

I’m not heart broken that it’s not an Orpington. I was just trying to get some buddies for my one chick that hatched out in my incubator. I’ll figure it out eventually I guess.
She could be a Cinnamon Queen, their chick feathers often look more patterned than their adult feathers, and her down looks right.

She could be a Cinnamon Queen, their chick feathers often look more patterned than their adult feathers, and her down looks right.
One of them was purchased as a cinnamon queen and was chipmunk stripped the day I brought them home. The other 2 were yellow. The one in question was just a little bit darker yellow/brown in color. At the time I didn’t think they were different enough in color that they were different breeds.

After looking at Hoover Hatchery website I think she might be a prairie bluebell or starlight green egger. Or maybe some other hatchery special interestingly named mix breed Easter Egger type chicken.

Attached is a picture of them on the day I got them as day old chicks

IMG_4649.jpeg
IMG_4648.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom