Broken Beak

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
There's a saying for humans, bad things happen in 3's. I'm hoping we can keep it to 2 for guineas. I've been letting the 3 jumbos out during the day.
There are field tiles between our property & the actual crop. They aren't allowed to do anything there except mow once a yr. Apparently yesterday was the day. I had the gran & didn't hear the tractor, but knew something was wrong the second I went outside and the 2 male jumbos were waiting for me. Mama was the last of my original 7, age 4. Of all the catastrophes to befall them, that one wasn't on my bingo card.
Brodie has the beak issue. If it bled, it wasn't much & it's not now (no blood spotted) it's dry, abt 1/4" of top beak missing. It happened overnight in the coop.
From what I've seen, it'll grow back in a cpl of weeks. I gave him a bowl for water and he does fine w/it. Tried giving him fruit/veg babyfood and catfood, turned his nose up. If I put ground food or millet in cracks between pavers, he shovels w/his lower beak, and he's skimming bugs off of plants and munching on lemongrass just fine. He just looks even more disgusted by life than usual.
My real question is regarding tx. I can mb see putting veterycin on it, but cleaning w/chlorhexadine or other agents or squirting sterile water in it sounds painful &/or toxic, as well as hazardous to my well being if he thinks I'm trying to hurt him or do.
If it grows back on it's own,it's dry, and he's not fussing w/it, wouldn't it be better to just monitor but leave it alone?

There's a saying for humans, bad things happen in 3's. I'm hoping we can keep it to 2 for guineas. I've been letting the 3 jumbos out during the day.
There are field tiles between our property & the actual crop. They aren't allowed to do anything there except mow once a yr. Apparently yesterday was the day. I had the gran & didn't hear the tractor, but knew something was wrong the second I went outside and the 2 male jumbos were waiting for me. Mama was the last of my original 7, age 4. Of all the catastrophes to befall them, that one wasn't on my bingo card.
Brodie has the beak issue. If it bled, it wasn't much & it's not now (no blood spotted) it's dry, abt 1/4" of top beak missing. It happened overnight in the coop.
From what I've seen, it'll grow back in a cpl of weeks. I gave him a bowl for water and he does fine w/it. Tried giving him fruit/veg babyfood and catfood, turned his nose up. If I put ground food or millet in cracks between pavers, he shovels w/his lower beak, and he's skimming bugs off of plants and munching on lemongrass just fine. He just looks even more disgusted by life than usual.
My real question is regarding tx. I can mb see putting veterycin on it, but cleaning w/chlorhexadine or other agents or squirting sterile water in it sounds painful &/or toxic, as well as hazardous to my well being if he thinks I'm trying to hurt him or do.
If it grows back on it's own,it's dry, and he's not fussing w/it, wouldn't it be better to just monitor but leave it alone?
I would either leave it alone or the most I would do for it would be to paint the edges with New Skin. It should be available locally in the bandages section of any grocery store.

Aw poor Brodie! Ghost does this at least once a year. He seems to eat ok, but I give him his dry crumble in a deeper bowl so he can scoop. He also gets water in a bowl. It seems to he’s very quickly for him. Unless the remaining tissue looks really angry, I would leave alone or do something low key, like rinse with clean saline or Vetericyn-like solution. Get well soon Brodie!

Back
Top Bottom