Best-laying Rose-comb Breed?

Freeholder

Songster
11 Years
Mar 23, 2008
Klamath County, OR
Any suggestions on what rose-combed breed would make the best layers? And where to get them? I've been reading about RC Brown Leghorns, but someone said they don't lay very well....

Kathleen

Any suggestions on what rose-combed breed would make the best layers? And where to get them? I've been reading about RC Brown Leghorns, but someone said they don't lay very well....

Kathleen

Someone lied to you. Leghorns of all varieties, single comb, rose comb, any color, on average are one of the best laying breeds. Hamburgs also have Rose Combs and are excellent layers. The Rose Comb Ancona is also an excellent layer. If your goal is just eggs I would look at those breeds.

Someone lied to you. Leghorns of all varieties, single comb, rose comb, any color, on average are one of the best laying breeds. Hamburgs also have Rose Combs and are excellent layers. The Rose Comb Ancona is also an excellent layer. If your goal is just eggs I would look at those breeds.

Ditto! Remembering that one must breed one's fowl with egg-laying in mind.

Thanks! I'm going to go with the Brown Leghorns, then. I want economical egg-layers. We'll eat culls and spent laying hens, there are only two of us (myself and my daughter), so we don't need big chickens for meat (and my frig and freezer are usually full of other stuff, so don't need lots of left-overs, either!). I figured I was considering even bantam breeds for meat and eggs, and Leghorns lay better and are bigger than bantams, LOL!

Do Red Leghorns come in rose comb?

Kathleen

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm going to go with the Brown Leghorns, then. I want economical egg-layers. We'll eat culls and spent laying hens, there are only two of us (myself and my daughter), so we don't need big chickens for meat (and my frig and freezer are usually full of other stuff, so don't need lots of left-overs, either!). I figured I was considering even bantam breeds for meat and eggs, and Leghorns lay better and are bigger than bantams, LOL!

Do Red Leghorns come in rose comb?

Kathleen

Nope, there are no RC Red Leghorns, but if it's that tone and hue, I'd recommend RC Dark Brown Leghorns. If you're interested, PM me.

Best,
YHF

Back
Top Bottom