BEST BREEDS TO START HATCHING IN OKLAHOMA

pipinout

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 4, 2015
OKLAHOMA
My dad raised many different breeds. I'm wanting to start hatching some chicks to carry on his legacy. What breed are hardy for Oklahoma weather? He was was a tester for the poultry division on Oklahoma. we had buff orphingtons. Wyandotte's, silkies Dominique any suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. I've had all of those breeds over the years and they are all hardy breeds, particularly where cold is concerned. Another breed I would recommend are Black Australorps. I've raised them for years in different states, including Oklahoma (the McAlester area), and they are extremely hardy. I've raised Black Australorps where winter temperatures dropped to 30 F below zero, and where summer temperatures frequently reached 117-118 F (123 F) once, and in both climate extremes, they came through like troopers. In addition, they are very calm and gentle. My children, and now my granddaughter (pictured in my avatar) made lap pets of them. And they are the best layers of the standard, brown egg laying breeds. If you are not objectionable to hybrids, another chicken I would recommend are Black Sex Links (Black Stars), which are hardy and friendly, egg laying machines. I've also raised them for years and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Whatever breeds or hybrids you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Welcome to BYC!

Nice to have you join us. You could ask the members that are on the OK state thread which breeds they have had good luck with hatching. You can find them here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/501128/okies-in-the-byc-iii

drumstick diva and Michael O'Shay have given you some good advice. You'd probably have good luck with the ones your father worked with and BA's are good all-round birds.

Have fun with whatever breed you decide to go with!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom