Barnevelder or Plymouth Rocks???

Jayteetee

Songster
Jan 21, 2024
Hi there,
i want to know your experience in raising barnevelders and Plymouth rocks and which you prefer? Bonus points if you’ve had both to compare!
We are After a friendly breed that loves attention. Though- I do understand that each chicken has their own personality.

I’ve never had Barnevelders but I have had Plymouth Rocks and I loved mine. At least my Barreds. I had a Partridge that was total opposite with like no personality and actually kinda mean. It was weird. Could have just been a fluke. But Barred Rocks are great. I’m sure other colors are too. I think I just got unlucky with that one particular bird lol but I’ve had that BR hen as well as a BR cockerel and both were AMAZING.

I've had both and prefer the Barnevelders for their more consistent good temperament. Barred Rock hens layed more eggs, although not a huge amount more, but the roosters were aggressive half the time when collecting eggs.

I've had both and prefer the Barnevelders for their more consistent good temperament. Barred Rock hens layed more eggs, although not a huge amount more, but the roosters were aggressive half the time when collecting eggs.
So far my barnevelders are so sweet & easy to train. My barred rocks cry when being handled when they’ve all had the same treatment from day 1!

Yeah, I've had similar experience with both. But as they got older all the hens would calm down and let me pick them up without any fuss. But some, not all the Barred Rock roosters were just too aggressive and I only kept the ones with a good temperament. In contrast, I've never had a Barnevelder get aggressive at all with me. Good luck with your group.

Barnies all the way!

Attachments

• IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom