Baby duck won't eat anything!! Please help!!

Heather56341

In the Brooder
Apr 4, 2017
Hello everyone!!
smile.png

Our little duckling hatched on April 2, 2017 one day earlier then her due date!!
She came out with hardly any blood and was following me the next day!
She seems healthy and happy even though she is our only duck.
But she won't eat anything, we got her Purina Flock Raiser Sun Fresh Recipe.
I have tried wetting and crushing it, she puts the food in her mouth but she spits it out.
I don't know if its because its still to big for her or she does not like the taste.
I am getting very worried any answers are appreciated!!

Have you tried beating it with a hammer to make it smaller?

I no nothing about baby duck..just a though..since you say it seems too big...?

Try wetting it down till it's mostly water. Ducklings take a bill full of food and then take a sip of water. Without that sip of water, they can't get the feed down. It's essential that the food and water are right next to each other.

that's absolutely true. When we fed wild ducks that were visiting, they would take food from us and dump it in the water, then swallow it.

G’Day from down under Heather56341
frow.gif
Welcome!

ep.gif
I saw “Have you tried beating it with a hammer …..” and had to look again .. ah, the food, not the duck .. just wiping spluttered coffee off my screen
lau.gif

Anyways, as you have already received some good advice and a link to the Duck Forum, I will just wish you all the best.

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

If you would like to share pictures and stories of your duck, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out
wink.png

Thank you for a lovely welcome!
I tried smashing it with a hammer and... IT WORKED!!!
She is eating and drinking now as happy as ever!!
I appreciate all the wonderful replies!
big_smile.png

Thank You

Back
Top Bottom