Baby chick scratching her ear and cheeping loudly

teria

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2015
Salem Utah
We just picked up four new chicks from the Cal Ranch (2 RIR's and 2 Silver Laced Wyandotte) which are probably not quite a week old. One of the Wyandotte chicks out of nowhere started having spells where she would scratch at her ear, cheeping loudly, and then fall asleep for a bit, just to wake up and start all over again.

I have poured through all the posts I could find on the topic, and finally decided that, being a Sunday, and I am at work until 9pm tonight, this little baby needed me to try something and not wait til I could call a vet for advice. So, going on what some have said, and on what I have found on Agriculture sites, I instructed my daughter to gently clean the outer ear area with a cotton swab that had a little hydrogen peroxide on it. Then to dab just a little olive oil on the area. Then to use the children's liquid tylenol and give her just a drop or two. She is separated from the other three for now, just to give her a chance to rest without being messed with.

It's been two hours since the tylenol, and she is back to normal. We're watching her closely, and if signs of the pain returns we will put her on baby aspirin, as I found thru this site that tylenol is not the best choice but it was all my daughter could find at the time, and then we will put her on antibiotics. Just hoping it was a one timer.

It's been about 12 hours since our little chick was having issues, and from what I can tell she is fully recovered. We didn't need to medicate her at all, just the little bit of tylenol we used and the olive oil on her ear. After that, she was right as rain. Still keeping an eye on her though in case whatever it was comes back.

So, I spoke too soon, she started scratching and cheeping loudly again, which means we still have a problem. Over the past 48 hours I have been giving her antibiotics and pain meds. After the first 24 hours she was no longer having crazy scratching spells but was still occasionally shaking her head a bit. So, we stopped the pain meds and just kept up the antibiotics. Hoping today she turns the next corner and stops shaking her head.

Just glad none of the other babies are showing any signs of problems. Knock on wood.

I haven't yet, was planning to pick some up and give it a try. I'd do about anything to help this little gal.

Most bird mites can be seen. Maybe get a second pair of hands to hold her and look her over with a magnifying glass. I do not have experience with mites and chickens (yet), but years ago when we had cockatiels they got mites and they did like to congregate around the ears. They were very small and the color of the bird's skin but you could see them if you looked carefully.

So, I spoke too soon, she started scratching and cheeping loudly again, which means we still have a problem.  Over the past 48 hours I have been giving her antibiotics and pain meds.  After the first 24 hours she was no longer having crazy scratching spells but was still occasionally shaking her head a bit.  So, we stopped the pain meds and just kept up the antibiotics.  Hoping today she turns the next corner and stops shaking her head.  

Just glad none of the other babies are showing any signs of problems.  Knock on wood. 
Don't give chicks or chickens and pain killers since it's not healthy for them, I'm not sure why to say about your case but would it be okay to post a pic of where the chick has been scratching the most?

Back
Top Bottom