ATTACK! It was only a matter of time.

RonP

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 4, 2014
New Jersey, "The Garden State"
Two years ago, new neighbors behind my home fenced their backyard, all 2 acres of it … very nice…

Next I see 2 magnificent golden retrievers and 1 spectacular Bernese Mountain Dog roaming their yard… very nice… I have neighbors animal friendly and seemingly responsible pet owners.

My personal dogs roam freely with no fence boundaries, but respond obediently when called.

Yesterday early evening, my one dog goes nuts barking at the rear window. Sure enough, the neighbors 3 dogs are also going nuts trying desperately to get to my flock that are simply ignoring them, doing their chicken thing in their secured run.

Great… the birds are too accustomed to dogs and do not see them as a threat…

I watch patiently and do nothing. I built my run and coop to withstand a 200-pound dog attack, just in case.

5 – 10 minutes or so, seemed like an hour later, both husband and wife come running through the woods yelling at their dogs that apparently have selective hearing.

After they leash their animals, I venture out to greet them.

One retriever obviously has a blooded paw. I sympathized as no animal should suffer. Culled, euthanized, dispatched, yes, but not suffer, and I offer assistance. The wife scowls at me accusing my flock of being an attractive nuisance, and made it known that it cost thousands to fence their yard and still her beloved show dog suffered a nail injury…

Her husband tells her to be quiet, not his exact words, to take her animals home, and lock the fence more securely. He genuinely apologizes and asks if there are any harmed birds or damage.

We assessed the coop and run together. The only visible sign of the attack by 3 near or over 100 pound dogs was some misplaced accumulated compost surrounding the run.

Relieved, I finally get to reap my reward for all my efforts and due diligence.

Good fences make good neighbors… not always but it sure helps…

Wow so glad you have a safe place for your flock! That was a good test. Shame on her for her anger! You did the right thing. We have a pack of wandering dogs i worry about every single day. Its a shame people arent more responsible pet owners as its not the dogs fault for doing what dogs do. It's the owners responsibility to train and house them properly. :thumbsup

the ignorance of some people.. her blaming your secured flock for enticing her dogs, to trespass and try to eat your little family members.. ohhh, i feel MY hackles go up at that.. lol..

my closest neighbour is a husband/wife team and our village vets.. their dog has escaped their property and attacked my chickens 3 times.. after simple apologies, i had animal control contact them and tell them one more sighting of their dogs on our property, wouldn't look good for them in the local newspaper.. ha!

Two years ago, new neighbors behind my home fenced their backyard, all 2 acres of it … very nice…

Next I see 2 magnificent golden retrievers and 1 spectacular Bernese Mountain Dog roaming their yard… very nice… I have neighbors animal friendly and seemingly responsible pet owners.

My personal dogs roam freely with no fence boundaries, but respond obediently when called.

Yesterday early evening, my one dog goes nuts barking at the rear window. Sure enough, the neighbors 3 dogs are also going nuts trying desperately to get to my flock that are simply ignoring them, doing their chicken thing in their secured run.

Great… the birds are too accustomed to dogs and do not see them as a threat…

I watch patiently and do nothing. I built my run and coop to withstand a 200-pound dog attack, just in case.

5 – 10 minutes or so, seemed like an hour later, both husband and wife come running through the woods yelling at their dogs that apparently have selective hearing.

One retriever obviously has a blooded paw. I sympathized as no animal should suffer. Culled, euthanized, dispatched, yes, but not suffer, and I offer assistance. The wife scowls at me accusing my flock of being an attractive nuisance, and made it known that it cost thousands to fence their yard and still her beloved show dog suffered a nail injury…

Her husband tells her to be quiet, not his exact words, to take her animals home, and lock the fence more securely. He genuinely apologizes and asks if there are any harmed birds or damage.

We assessed the coop and run together. The only visible sign of the attack by 3 near or over 100 pound dogs was some misplaced accumulated compost surrounding the run.

Relieved, I finally get to reap my reward for all my efforts and due diligence.

Good fences make good neighbors… not always but it sure helps…
So glad that story had a happy ending!

You should be proud of your workmanship.

It is unfortunate this incident happened. The dogs are adjusting to a new environment and it is possible saw your birds as a threat or who knows what. Sounds like both parties are responsible pet owners who did their best to protect their animals. A nail injury is a small price to pay for what could have been the worst case scenario. Hopefully all concerned (including the dogs) will benefit from this incident and it will not happen again. If it does you still have been granted peace of mind against a host of predators.
From the attack your coop sustained I doubt it can be easily moved as a gesture to your new neigbours.
As for the wife she was upset at the cost of the fence and its failed attempt of restraining her pets. She lost control for a few moments she is only human and still deserves respect.

Last edited:
See, people allow their animals too much freedom and look what could have happened! Lots of people shoot dogs for that sort of behavior.

the ignorance of some people.. her blaming your secured flock for enticing her dogs, to trespass and try to eat your little family members.. ohhh, i feel MY hackles go up at that.. lol..

It was very apparent these neighbors are responsible pet owners. Her animals were exceptional, following instinctive behavior . Mistakes and accidents occur no matter how careful you are. This is why I prepared and protected my birds expecting the worst possible situation, long before they arrived.

Her response to her injured animal was simply an attempt to deter fault. I chose not to engage, same as I would an immature child or drunk. She was emotional and not in a reasonable state of mind. Having had children and an ex-wife, I learned long ago to choose carefully my battles. :(

Back
Top Bottom