arthritis

theacw

Songster
8 Years
May 7, 2011
MN
Does my hen have arthritis?

She limps quite a bit and likes to lay down a lot. When she walks, she looks so goofy... either she takes short little strides or almost looks like she is marching. She is about 4 years old and a silver laced wyandotte.

I read around on here and saw it usually is a virus or maybe an infection in the bones? She got attacked by a dog maybe 6 months ago and had troubles walking for about a week. Could that be coming back?

Lameness can have so many different causes, from internal laying, bumblefoot, mycoplasma synovitis, to infectious arthritis, and others. Injury to the legs or feet is most common. Mareks disease is usually apparent at an earlier age, but can happen at any age after exposure. Look her over for swelling, redness, or spots on the footpad, joints, and legs. Does she still lay eggs?

She has been walking like this for over a month so I don't think its anything "sudden". And she has kind of gone through spurts of this before.

I checked her over good and see absolutely nothing of concern, just walking in a marching manner.

She does lay still but hasn't for a few weeks.

I have a group of 3 hens and thats it if that changes anything. :/

Videos posted to YouTube sometimes are helpful I have seen a few where the chicken has a kind of "goose step" gait, and had wondered about a neurolgical condition or Mareks. Hopefully, it's not that, but just something from her previous injury. Aspirin or drugs like metacam sometimes are used if there is pain, or to reduce inflammation.

Oh I hope not either! Would that progress quickly or slowly just to know what to look for?

She's my first lil gal and means so dang much to me! The absolute best little hen.

How much would aspirin would you give a standard silver laced wyandotte? I have a tiny bit of metacam from before but would rather save it for a time when she really needs it.

I noticed she's starting to molt so that must be why she isn't laying. She also gets super crabby and run down when she molts compared to my other 2 girls. So maybe that is part of why she's fussier and laying around outside rather then scratching. Somewhat typical for molt season for her.

Thanks so much eggsessive for your help! Im clueless when it comes to illnesses and injuries!

A low dose 81 mg baby aspirin can be given twice a day to most chickens, either placed directly in the back of the beak, or put into some food. Perhaps the molting has caused her to be sore and have the funny gait. Some of mine really seem to suffer with molting.

Back
Top Bottom