Are these barred rock hens or roosters?

taranakichicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
Three months ago I bought three day-old barred rock chicks. Their names are Derek, Dulcie and Mildred. They were all supposed to be girls and the name Derek was just a joke because we thought he was the most masculine.
However, the joke is turning out not to be so funny because SOMEBODY has started making suspicious crowing-like sounds in the morning.
Not like cock-a-doodle-doo but more like ka-gaaaaar.
We really need to know who is a he and who is a she. We live in town and simply can't have crowing! Pictures are below, please help!

This is the lovely Derek...what a darling

45001_derek.jpg

And then we have Mildred (She's not very bright but quite sweet)

45001_mildred.jpg

And lastly, my favourite, Dulcie. She likes cuddles.

45001_dulcie.jpg

Here is everyone together wrecking the back yard:

45001_everyone.jpg

I hope everyone can help!

Sorry, I have to agree with halo. They all look rooish to me. I see saddle feathers and they are lighter than the hens usually would be.
hmm.png
(I could be wrong though).

The top one is a female, and the bottom two are males. Another way to tell is that if they are the same age, the males always feather out slower, and that is why the bottom two have virtually no tails yet.

David

Well, looks like the club in general feel you have little Roos. If you bought them from a feed store, they probably ordered them as straight run. When that happens they tend to get more males.

I can't tell and that has always been my problem with easter eggers.
roll.png
Males walk more upright, females more square to the ground. Males have saddle feathers and that is what some members see. I looked and did not see saddle feathers, but that is just me. Hens have a rounded feather end and Roos are more pointed. I use another way to tell and so far it has panned out to be correct. I check the distance in the birds hip bones. I have found the hens have a spread between the hip bones that will almost allow my finger fullly between the bones and roos have a smaller, close space. Ok, that works for me buy may not be accurate.

I am sorry if your little chicks grow up into roosters, I do have some sweet Roosters in my group of birds.
Good luck to you.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom