Anyone had hens that act like roos?

Diveks

Songster
6 Years
Jul 14, 2017
Indonesia
So right now i have an older polish hen around 5 years old in with a bunch of younger pullets and cocks (the excess cocks already have new homes just waiting for their families to be ready to pick them up). Well this hen was suprisingly pretty welcoming when I introduced the others. As head hen to one other hen and after loosing that one and being alone she had been crowing. she still lays eggs around 1 or 2 a week but she crows.

After introducing the others she gave them a few warning pecks to show them where she stands in the pecking order. The cocks and pullets all stand under her and she is the head hen (more like head chicken actually) right now. not sure if will change but the highest cockerel respects her and the others won't mess with her.

So her roo like behaviors are tid biting food and doing the rooster dance, also a bit of crowing. She is the highest hen as nobody will bother her when she is eating exept for when she is tid biting, all the other chickens will come over. I was surprised that she kept laying eggs throughout all of this. is she just being a mother to the younger chickens or is this something else? anyone had this experience?

Last edited:
I had a young hen that did that. It was hilarious!
She never crowed, but she did the "rooster dance" and rooster "call" when she came near food. Then she layed an egg and I knew for sure she was a girl. Weird!

I had a young hen that did that. It was hilarious!
She never crowed, but she did the "rooster dance" and rooster "call" when she came near food. Then she layed an egg and I knew for sure she was a girl. Weird!
mine started doing this at around 3 years old. She has a roo stance and im guessing is head chicken in the flock right now. :lol:

So right now i have an older polish hen around 5 years old in with a bunch of younger pullets and cocks (the excess cocks already have new homes just waiting for their families to be ready to pick them up). Well this hen was suprisingly pretty welcoming when I introduced the others. As head hen to one other hen and after loosing that one and being alone she had been crowing. she still lays eggs around 1 or 2 a week but she crows.

After introducing the others she gave them a few warning pecks to show them where she stands in the pecking order. The cocks and pullets all stand under her and she is the head hen (more like head chicken actually) right now. not sure if will change but the highest cockerel respects her and the others won't mess with her.

So her roo like behaviors are tid biting food and doing the rooster dance, also a bit of crowing. She is the highest hen as nobody will bother her when she is eating exept for when she is tid biting, all the other chickens will come over. I was surprised that she kept laying eggs throughout all of this. is she just being a mother to the younger chickens or is this something else? anyone had this experience?
‘Get a girl that can do both’ 😅

Back
Top Bottom