Anybody ever use Respirex for chicken wheezing/respiratory issues?

jemimarose

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 28, 2013
I have read that Tylan 50 or other Tylan products are best for respiratory issues but my vet's never heard of it and if I order it online, it's going to take anywhere from a week to a month or more to get here, for some stupid reason.
However, Respirex can be to me in 4 days and it has good reviews. Anyone have experience with it? My fave hen is wheezing really bad.
Thanks!

I have read that Tylan 50 or other Tylan products are best for respiratory issues but my vet's never heard of it and if I order it online, it's going to take anywhere from a week to a month or more to get here, for some stupid reason.
However, Respirex can be to me in 4 days and it has good reviews. Anyone have experience with it? My fave hen is wheezing really bad.
Thanks!
Never heard of it but tylan is my go to. Last November i used it along with vetrx when my whole flock came down with the respiratory illness .

Thanks!

TSC has tylan 200 for about $50. Use a insulin syringe and 1/2 needle. Measures in 0.1ml. Divide the tylan50 dose by 4 and use that amount of tylan 200. It's not very much because tylan 200 is 4x as strong as tylan 50. Inject IM in 2 different locations in breast. 2x a day for 3 days.

Vetrx is useless as a medication because its not. Just oil of camphor.

Where are you? In the UK? Tylan is tylosin, and there is also oxytetracycline, and Denagard (tiamulin) which vets may find in most countries.

Is wheezing the only symptom? Is there any watery or bubbly eye, sneezing, coughing, nasal drainage, or gasping?

Where are you? In the UK? Tylan is tylosin, and there is also oxytetracycline, and Denagard (tiamulin) which vets may find in most countries.

Is wheezing the only symptom? Is there any watery or bubbly eye, sneezing, coughing, nasal drainage, or gasping?

Doxycycline is a much better and broader based antibiotic than tylan with no risk of muscle necrosis at the injection site. Its an off label use drug for poultry.

I get that Tylan is good. I do, really! But I can't seem to get it around here, at least not in a timely manner. My hen could be dead by the time I get some, so I'm looking for something I can get right now, or in the next few days, that will keep my hen's condition stable until I can get some Tylan. Anybody?
Someone said that putting some live ACV in her water would stabilize her. Anyone know how much to put in per gallon?

Respirex seems to be some type of natural treatment, not an antibiotic.
https://www.naturalfarmhealth.co.uk/portfolio/respiratory-problems-poultry/

Most chicken people give Tylan and other antibiotics orally rather than by intramuscular injection. Doxycycline is in the tetracycline class of antibiotics and also used for treatment of mycoplasma.
Thank you so much for the info about Respirex. I hadn't found that info on my own. I feel good about giving it to her while I wait for the Tylan.

I've used Respirex in the past and found when I used it preventatively it helped keep my 12 laying hens breathing freely with no problems - especially at this time of the year when there are sometimes big temperature changes from day to night!

Back
Top Bottom